My Applications folder disappeared from the dock...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CaptainPeroxide, May 11, 2011.

1. CaptainPeroxide macrumors newbie

One day I accidentally grabbed my applications folder and dragged it onto the desktop but it completely disappeared and since then I haven't been able to get it back on my dock. Help? I've tried numerous things and all of my efforts have been fruitless...help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Open a finder window, and drag your applications folder back into your dock. You can do the same thing with any folder. This link might be helpful.

3. CaptainPeroxide thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow, I swear I tried that numerous times, but it never worked...and then all of a sudden when you tell me to try it, it magically works. Thanks a lot man.

:)

4. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

5. CaptainPeroxide thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, it just disappeared again. Do I need to copy the folder to my desktop first and then drag it to my dock? Or what? Cause I just tried it a few times and it keeps disappearing.

6. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

The Dock is just a placeholder for links. If you drag anything off of it the link will disappear (hence that poof of smoke when you drag an item off).

Is the folder disappearing by itself?

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I'm curious to know how many different things you tried, and what those were, as there's really only one method.

Could be that you were dragging it to the wrong side of the Dock. It won't go just anywhere. Then you randomly chose the correct side.

It keeps disappearing? How? Can you put your hands behind your back and stare at it long enough to notice it's gone again? Just kidding there. It's something you're doing. Has to be.