My applications folder has officially become a black hole!! help!!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bluedoggiant, Jan 13, 2008.

1. bluedoggiant macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

No joke first of all.

i have to accounts on my computer, the admin, and me, i do not know the admin password, i use the standard account, im the only one who uses the computer, the reason why im not admin is cuz i have parental controls on.

that means i need an admin password for practically anything, so i asked my dad if i could unlock the applications folder, i unlocked it so that everybody can read and write the app folder, so that means i can put apps in it without his permission.

yeah, it works, thing is I CANT GET IT OUT!!! i need an admin password to delete, but no password to write since i unlocked it, i wanted to make a folder in the apps folder just for ilife, no way, so i cant modify anything, i can just write, and open apps, period. and im eager to uninstall logmein cuz its being gay n' doesnt want to work, i cant, i need an admin password!

i found out that the right is called com.apple.desktopservices

how can i that right on my account, i know i goto keychain, but where do i enter that com.apple.desktopservices thing, and how do i make it so that i dont need an admin password to modify, or write any of the locked folders that do not allow me to edit?

do i click system in the sidebar of keychain, ask my dad to enter the password so that i can edit it, then i click the + button below, then what? where do i enter that right thing so that i never need to enter a password for finder again? i know i need to select something called finder too, any ideas? i really want to make every in my account not need a password except software update and system preferences, cuz i know for sure, no matter what, i need an admin pass to modify them.

2. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Sounds like someone is trying to delete something that he doesn't want his parents to see. Your parents have parental controls on for a reason. If they want to allow you to do something, they will have to enter the password for you. This happens because they want it to be that way. I would ask to have the parental controls removed. I mean, what exactly could you be doing? I am assuming you are over the age of 14, so they may just take the parental controls off if you ask them. Although, it is their choice to do this or not. I am all for parental discipline/censorship over government censorship. So, I would rather have your parents block you from viewing inappropriate websites instead of the government blocking the whole country from viewing them.

3. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

i AM 14, turning 15 in march, its my dad whose in charge, he wants them on, but what about this keychain thing?

4. bluedoggiant thread starter macrumors 68030

bluedoggiant

found the problem

some things can be moved and taken out of the apps folder, some arent, i got it now. so i can remove apps i installed, but stuff like ilife i cannot uninstall, but for some reason i cant get rid of logmein, i guess its because the way to uninstall it is through the uninstaller, thats a bummer.

oh well, might as well live with it.

but can some one tell me more about the keychain and if i can set rights in it?

5. kostia macrumors regular

I think what you're supposed to do with applications as a non-admin user is install them in ~/Applications (that is, a different Applications folder under your user name folder) rather than /Applications (the root, or main, Applications folder).

It sounds like you know how to walk your dad through deleting the "gay" application you don't like; why not just sit down with him and do that, plus anything else you need to clean up, and in the future, install applications in your user Applications folder?

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

Quit asking us how to get around your parent's controls.