my apps double in size

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Lander95, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Lander95 macrumors newbie

After downloading some apps I noticed that all my apps double in size once I copied them to my iPod. Example; in the app store, N.O.V.A 2 is about 500 MB, once copied to my iPod, it doubled in size, 1,010 GB. Can somebody plz help me? I can only put 10 heavy games on it and the memory is full, and that's NOT funny! :mad:

2. err404 macrumors 68020

500MB is the size of the App download from iTunes. This is a compressed installer. During the installation process, the App is decompressed to the actual size of about ~1GB.
    To make matters worse, you need the combine size of 1.5GB to actually perform the install. On top of that, while an upgrade is in progress the old version stays on the drive until the install completes. So during an upgrade N.O.V.A.2 will be consuming 2.5GB of your storage :eek:. Installing the App or upgrading via iTunes eliminates some of this in-flight storage requirement.

That's just the way it works. There is nothing you can do about it. But I agree that it would be nice if the App Store displayed the storage requirement in addition to just the download size.

3. Lander95 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok

thanks!:p now I won't get mad anymore when try to update heavy apps on my iPod and the iPod says; "Warning! disk is full." :p
    :)