My AT&T Customer Service Experience / iPhone Upgrade Related

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jshort, Jun 12, 2010.

1. jshort macrumors regular

Here's my story.. like many of you I've purchased all 3 iPhones to date on the first day they became available. I've been on my own individual plan for all of these purchase.. now I'm married and added my wife last July 11th under the "Family Plan" umbrella with a new 3GS. So there you have it.. we both have iPhone 3GS's purchased within 3 weeks of each other.

Here's my problem: MY number (the main line) is eligible for an upgrade at the promotional price; my wife's number is not eligible until mid-March. Even though this phone was purchased 3 week after mine. First of all, neither AT&T Customer Relations, AT&T Customer Care or the ding dong at the corporate store can tell me ANYthing over the phone unless I drive myself all the way up to my nearest AT&T corporate store and debate common sense theories with him in person.

He says only the main number will be eligible for an upgrade.. I say "So basically it's cheaper to my $120 ETF and start a new account instead of paying the full retail price $699 (400 dollar spread between promo rate and full retail). Would this not appear to create an incredible amount of busy paperwork for AT&T employees?

So long story short, it would appear that if upgrading to new iPhones every year is your thing.. it's best to have two separate individual plans coming into your home instead of AT&T's Family Plan.

Curious if I'm missing something, if this sounds right or any input you guys may have.

Cheers-

2. mac-mania macrumors member

Here's why:

Your main line, the line billed at the largest charge is eligible for an upgrade at 18 months, thus this year. Your two add-on lines aren't eligible until 21 months, thus next year. Your this year line gets bumped to now, your other two have to wait.

Problem solved.

3. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

We had the same issue with ours as well, the strange thing is that we had a friend join our family plan coming from an individual plan and he's eligible for an upgrade.

4. JohngPR macrumors newbie

What kind of plan do you have? I heard that that is a factor as well.

5. jshort thread starter macrumors regular

We've got 2 iPhones on the lowest monthly plan with data packages and unlimited texting..

My point is that you can basically pay $10-15 a month extra as two individuals and come upgrade time.. you won't have to pay $400 additional for a new iPhone because one line isn't "eligible".