My AT&T DSL internet is faster than what I pay for...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMJustAGuy, Jan 29, 2010.

1. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

Due to DirecPath's limited internet capability in my neighborhood (Up to 3mbps! ...wth, right?) I switched from Cable to DSL. My DirecPath was 34.99. Now I pay 24.99 for AT&T's highest delux package in my area which is 6mbps. When I use the test located on speedtest.net it clocks me in at just under 9mbps but my upload speed sucks @ .30mbps. How is it possible that I am getting more than what I pay for. In no way am I complaining, just curious.

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If you've only had it for a short time, I believe it takes a period of time (something like 14-days) to stabilize. I think you're supposed to leave your modem/gateway plugged in and turned on during that time frame.

3. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

What has to stabalize and why is it that takes it 14 days to do?

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

When we switched ISP a couple of years ago our speed was 4mbps, after 2 weeks it stabilised to 2mbps. Now it's further re-stabilised (according to BT :rolleyes:) to 1mbps and wont do anything about it.

5. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I’ve never heard of anyone having to wait for DSL to be stabilized. They usually just lock your upload/download speed via your log-in at the home office. Maybe you got an incompetent Rep. that accidentally put you in the wrong speed tier.

Have you received a bill yet?

I just upgraded my AT&T business DSL to Elite a few months ago. After calling them, I had the new speed immediately after turning off my DSL modem and re-signing back in to their service.

Are they rolling out U-Verse in your area?

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

When you first get DSL they leave it uncapped for a while, I worked at AT&T for a couple years. Unless they totally botched the job and put you in the wrong tier your speeds will slow.

7. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

You must be getting all my extra bandwidth. My AT&T DSL has been a lot slower recently. It sucks.

8. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

My DSL is as consistent as bible quotes.:rolleyes: Somedays I get 3MBp other days it's slower than dialup...14.4K dialup.:eek: I'm paying for basic DSL the supposedly 10x faster than dial up version.:p

9. iMJustAGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

I've not heard of this. What is it?

EDIT: I still don't really understand the concept, but I checked the AT&T website and it said UVerse is unavailable for my area.