Carrier My AT&T iPhone Unlimited data Plan and the FCC's VICTORY today !!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by T0MMYBOY4, Feb 26, 2015.

1. T0MMYBOY4 macrumors regular

Just curious how today's victory for the FCC in regards to net neutrality will affect my grandfathered AT&T iPhone unlimited (limited :mad:) data plan. Some of the changes implemented seem to include that mobile broadband providers, such as AT&T, won't be allowed to throttle or block Internet traffic anymore once we reach our 5 gig limit. I know we are still waiting for a decision from the courts in regards to the case filed by the FTC against AT&T and their shady throttling practices. With these new changes for mobile broadband providers, this should be a slamdunk win for the FTC.... or am I missing something here? On top of all this, I read that with these new rules implemented carriers won't be able to block us from using applications or visiting certain websites. An example would be when AT&T tried to block grandfathered unlimited data users from being able to use the face time app on their phone over cellular, but had no problem allowing people on a tiered paid plan to use the FaceTime app over the cellular as much as they want. If AT&T is no longer allowed to ban apps that we run on our phone, and I am jailbroken and try to use a tethering apps such as tether me or PDA net, will this be allowed per these new rules? Technically, I should be able to run a tethering app on my phone without AT&T getting bent out of shape. (per these new guidelines) I've also read that they may implement the same guidelines for AT&T and other carriers that they did for Verizon's LTE spectrum in which they cannot block which device you use your Sim card in. Hence, on Verizon's network you can take your Sim card out of your phone and put it straight into a hotspot (which by now I think everyone knows you can do). Just looking for some feedback as to how you guys think this will play out in the future for those of us who are still on AT&T's grandfathered unlimited data plan.

2. goofy1958 macrumors regular

It's simple. They will simply send letters to say that the grandfathered unlimited plans are being phased out, and if you don't choose a plan by a certain date, then they will switch you over themselves. And before anyone says lawsuit, get over yourself. The fine print in the contract says they can do this at any time they want, and you agreed to it.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Not only that, but today's Net Neutrality ruling has nothing to do with the plan you signed up for; just that the content from one place can not be throttled by your provider in service to you. In short, ATT can't throttle only Netflix's content to you, and ask you to pay more to have that content delivered faster to you.

For your grandfathered plan as a whole, they could, because that is part of the terms of the plan you agreed to; they just can not do it for select content.

To be honest, I'm paying less for more data than I was using with my grandfathered unlimited plan, and don't regret moving off of it one bit.

BL.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Nada

Likely doesn't affect you one bit.

I just left my grandfathered unlimited plan for the ability to tether.

No regrets.

5. goofy1958 macrumors regular

We are paying less over-all as well due to the specials that they were running with double the data.

----------

Oh, and no, it doesn't give you the ability to illegally tether when you signed an agreement that said you cannot do it. Please remember that the original unlimited data did NOT include tethering. That was an additional charge.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's not going to happen.
    That's the complete opposite of what this net neutrality FCC legislation is about.

7. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

If your terms of service stipulate that they can throttle as necessary, block tethering, and block services like FaceTime...

If those terms of your service have been invalidated by law... Then you will be migrated to a service package that is compliant. Like Mobile Share.

8. T0MMYBOY4 thread starter macrumors regular

..and risk losing millions and millions of their customers? I think more people are still on this plan than people realize. Do people forget how many millions of people flocked to AT&T when the first iPhone came out for all those years? That would be bad press and PR to just give people the middle finger like that and take away their unlimited data plans. Investors wouldn't like this move. They told me I "HAD" to have this unlimited data plan When I signed up in 2008. Now all the sudden the plan is too good and they want to take it away?? No way this would ever happen...... Look at Verizon, they caved to customer pressure and decided to not only allow grandfathered Verizon unlimited plans, but they decided not to throttle LTE customers as well.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol:D
    What will really happen is they will cut back on the throttling anti competitive and anti consumer practices.
    They will not eliminate unlimited data plans.
    All you people or mobile share plans enjoy it but the unlimited plans are not going anywhere and they will be worth a lot more now with less throttling.

10. T0MMYBOY4 thread starter macrumors regular

why is it "necessary" to throttle me if I've used more than 5 GB of data if I am in the middle of nowhere in a deserted town and I am the only one connected to the cell tower at 3 AM.... What sense does it make to throttle me? Why is it necessary? How is that really considered "network management". I thought today's ruling was to try to get us away from this nonsense. Why is the service provider the gatekeeper to the Internet and the one who can determine how fast I can watch a movie. If I'm being throttled it might take me 10 hours to watch a one hour long movie because its buffering at such a low speed. (throttled)

----------

agreed

----------

they ran these double data promotions a while back for you tiered data customers while Keeping their foot on our throat and telling us unlimited data customers that the network is overloaded. Classy.:rolleyes:

11. goofy1958 macrumors regular

It has nothing to do with a data plan through a carrier. It has to do with carriers charging companies like Netflix extra money for extra bandwidth. It really does next to nothing for individual consumers.

----------

Since all carriers will be doing away with any kind of unlimited plans (except maybe Sprint - but their service sucks), I can't see AT&T caring at all.

----------

You know, it doesn't matter if you like it or not. The carriers will all eventually do away with unlimited, and force everyone to a tiered plan. Sorry, but y'all need to just get over it. It will happen sooner or later. Bitching about it here won't make a difference to them, and they won't care if you move to another carrier, since they will still sign up new customers with marketing deals.

12. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I like these little kids, so optimistic, glass half-full, thinking that corporations will just roll over and hand you free stuff.

:) warms the heart.

P.S. Not on ATT mobile share, prepaid is far less expensive and I don't need ATT's help (/cough *predatory practice) with a 24mo financing plan for a phone.

13. goofy1958 macrumors regular

Doesn't matter if you think it's classy or not. It's their network, and they will run it as they see fit. If you don't like it, move over to T-Mobile or Sprint. I guess I don't understand why you would complain about a company, when there are multiple choices??

----------

Exactly!

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's false.
    The FCC reclassified broadband, both fixed and mobile, as more heavily regulated 'telecommunications services', similar to a traditional telephone service as a utility.
    ● No Throttling: broadband providers may not impair or degrade lawful Internet traffic on the basis of content, applications, services, or non-harmful devices.
    So it does include wireless and wired internet service providers and the FCC is already pressuring AT&T about their throttling practices so Im sure this does not look like it helps AT&T's throttling policies.
    They will be forced to cave in and figure something better cause what they are doing to consumers right now is not fair.

----------

Lol :D
    Little kids huh?
    I'm probably much older than you and have been with AT&T for over 18 years.
    But great job overgeneralizing and thinking whoever does not agree with your false claims is a little kid.
    Glad prepaid works better for you, good thing there's more options out there or maybe it doesn't work that well for others or maybe they get better deals and discounts through their employers while still enjoying their subsidized phones. Since I been with them for that long and don't plan on switching why not save $400-500 on the device by signing a contract. Works great for me. ;)

15. T0MMYBOY4, Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015

T0MMYBOY4 thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think some people truly understand what today's ruling was about...and how this WILL affect us unlimited data customers. A quote from arstechnica.com website states "The core net neutrality provisions are bans on blocking and throttling traffic, a ban on paid prioritization, and a requirement to disclose network management practices. Broadband providers will not be allowed to block or degrade access to legal content, applications, services, and non-harmful devices or favor some traffic over others in exchange for payment." That seems pretty cut and dry to me. Traffic is traffic...wether its coming or going. Some people are right in saying it is AT&T's network and they can do what they want with it... But by classifying them as a utility service now the FCC can regulate them more and allow for a fair and open Internet. I shouldn't have to pay you more money (get on a mobile share plan) just to be able to enjoy the Internet like the person standing next to me who is on a tiered plan....:cool: I honestly feel like I'm being treated like a second-class citizen (having an unlimited data plan). I just can't afford those tiered plans like all of you rich folks :p

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well said.
    AT&T even said they will stop throttling on towers that are not congested and during off peak hours.
    So I think the pressure the government is putting towards internet providers will only help and make things for competitive.
    Not sure why many here are upset or against us that are still on the old unlimited data plans.
    You're happy with your mobile share or other plan then more power to you.
    Maybe they want to feel better about their choice to switch to tiered data plan or their lack of unlimited data option so they're are on AT&T's side and against customers that signed up on truly unlimited data plans back in 2007 with the original iphone and now as carriers become more greedy are forced to get more restrictions unless they pay more.

17. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

2 points:

ATT will end up doing away with unlimited plans, has nothing to do with netnuet, it will happen and they have working towards this for a while now. I would bet by the end of 2015 thet are done with them.

NetNuet will not be a good thing down the road, you will see.

p.s. I am in my late 40's and love tech. But, I must say that every younger person I see, and some older people, always have their face in their phone. It is a great tool and entertainment device, buy c'mon, get a life and live your life, at least some of it withour your face in the phone. If you did that the data plan you have would be the least of your worries.

18. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

This is talking about services like netflix, not your cell phone. They won't let Netflix pay for priority "fast lanes" but they can't throttle Netflix anymore either.

"But by classifying them as a utility service now the FCC can regulate them more and allow for a fair and open Internet" May be the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. So new government regulations are going to allow a more fair and open internet? This ruling is about giving the government control of the internet, they will tell you whats fair, what content is okay and good with them. This is the exact opposite of fair and open internet. They can now control the content.

I hope you're right, maybe this will help our unlimited plans, could be only good thing about this.

19. goofy1958 macrumors regular

Well, I'm in my mid 50's and started with AT&T back in the 70's. If y'all really think this has to do with your data, then fine, you just bury your head in the sand. Your unlimited is going away someday, and there is nothing you can do or say that will change it.

20. T0MMYBOY4 thread starter macrumors regular

they ARE referring to my cell phone plan. Why else do you think part of today's ruling now includes mobile broadband data along with wired broadband data?? "We cannot have a two-tiered internet with fast lanes that speed the traffic of the privileged and leave the rest of us lagging behind," commissioner Jessica Rosenworcel said at today's meeting. "We cannot have gatekeepers who tell us what we can and cannot do and where we can and cannot go online. And we do not need blocking, throttling, and paid prioritization schemes that undermine the internet as we know it." Yes, you are correct that this applies to services like Netflix, but they are also referring to mobile broadband carriers that throttle unlimited data customers. You guys are lying to yourselves if you think the government isn't working towards trying to get rid of throttling mobile broadband data. Check out this link if you think I am lying. I highly encourage you all to read this.---> http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/pres...e-provider-tracfone-pay-40-million-settle-ftc "Prepaid Mobile Provider TracFone to Pay $40 Million to Settle FTC Charges It Deceived Consumers About ‘Unlimited’ Data Plans" ..... This is just from a few weeks ago. This was just a small time carrier, think how hard they're going to hit AT&T for deceiving and lying to us about unlimited data plans.

21. cymolia macrumors 6502a

Not going to benifit us one bit, so im not even worried about any rulings or changes. The carriers ALWAYS win in the end, ALWAYS!

22. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68030

Okay, let me know when they fine At&t how that benefits us. See what you're saying, guess will wait and see.

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You are older than me but I'm not even close to a little kid. I have little kids myself:D
    Anyway, hope this regulation is pro consumer and actually helps improve services and promotes competition. You realize all these huge corporations are looking after themselves only and their pockets and don't care about the end customer. They care about their profits and how to make more that's all. Someone should be able to step in and tell them what they can and cannot get away with don't you think? they spend millions "donating" money for their cause and they have politicians in their pockets.
    If my unlimited goes away some day so will my current carrier, and then I'll have to look at my available options and pros and cons of other choices that's all.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

How that benefits us is that they wont be allowed to falsely advertise services or bait and switch tactics like they been doing for years.
    Why do you think they didn't let verizon start throttling their unlimited data users? As soon as they announced it days later they "magically" changed their mind about it and decided not to do it.
    They agreed not to throttle or lock any of their LTE devices when they bought all those LTE bands with that government deal and then some time later they decided to start throttling their unlimited customers.
    Lets not have any rules and let these greedy companies do whatever they want and change the rules to their favor give us less options and charge us whatever they want.
    I see this as a positive for consumers along with the new mandatory unlocking law that needs to be followed by all carriers starting February 2015. If the government didn't push them you think carriers like Sprint and others would just decide to unlock their iphones just cause they woke up one day and felt like being nice? Someone needs to protect and support consumers rights cause the wireless carriers are not the ones that will do that for us. They only look after their pockets hope you guys get that part.

25. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

You are correct that the companies only care about profits.

But, netnuet will end up being bad for the public. Tell me what you think of it in 3 years.