Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 22, 2009
California
Yesterday, my aunt and I went to Micro Center and Fry's to look for a laptop. I told her she should buy the Macbook at Micro Center because it's on sale and Macs will be worth it in the long run. I also told her they don't get viruses. She keeps on insisting on buying a 14in Sony Laptop with an Intel Core i3 because she says Sony has good products. Should I just give up and let her buy the Sony laptop?

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Yesterday, my aunt and I went to Micro Center and Fry's to look for a laptop. I told her she should buy the Macbook at Micro Center because it's on sale and Macs will be worth it in the long run. I also told her they don't get viruses. She keeps on insisting on buying a 14in Sony Laptop with an Intel Core i3 because she says Sony has good products. Should I just give up and let her buy the Sony laptop?

It's her money....

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2009
she says Sony has good products.

I don't really like these Mac versus PC things, just because I see some hardcore fanboys getting a little crazy about this. Anyway, what about that laptop does she think is better? Narrow it down a little, why exactly does she want it? Most of the differences are facts (processor speed...), but others may just be an opinion (money...). If it comes down to opinion, I wouldn't push too hard, but if it's "just because", that's a little different.

Pixellated

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
I understand. Anyways, the Sony laptop does have better specs. It's just sooo thick. I'll just have to download AVG, CCleaner and a Registry cleaner.

No you don't! Just install AVG. IMO all the registry cleaners and 'PC Optimisers' are crapware. My PC/Hackintosh running windows now with no antivirus etc will prove this.

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 22, 2009
California
No you don't! Just install AVG. IMO all the registry cleaners and 'PC Optimisers' are crapware. My PC/Hackintosh running windows now with no antivirus etc will prove this.

Well ever since I got a virus on my Dell laptop, I have been extra careful on all PC's. So I downloaded these programs. It's just my Aunt isn't so tech savy and she keeps opening her spam emails.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ Microsoft Security Essential is actually quite good, free and doesn't slow down the computer as much as AVG and others.

Oh and OP - what is right for one person is not always right for another. Mac's are great and I personally wont stop using them, but I don't enforce my buying decisions on others. Until you start paying your Aunt's bills and let her make her own choices. Your entitled to your opinion of course, but so is she. Do the right thing by your aunt, if she want's a Vaio, then choose her the best Vaio in her budget and she'll be happy.

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 22, 2009
California
^ Microsoft Security Essential is actually quite good, free and doesn't slow down the computer as much as AVG and others.

Oh and OP - what is right for one person is not always right for another. Mac's are great and I personally wont stop using them, but I don't enforce my buying decisions on others. Until you start paying your Aunt's bills and let her make her own choices. Your entitled to your opinion of course, but so is she. Do the right thing by your aunt, if she want's a Vaio, then choose her the best Vaio in her budget and she'll be happy.

Thank you for your opinion. If she wants a Sony, then I'll let her get a Sony. I was just giving her my opinion about Macs. We were looking at a specific model. It had a 14in screen, blu ray, Intel Core i3, 4GB of RAM, and a 500GB hard drive for $899. Good deal?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0326311

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004

I second Microsoft Security Essentials. Its free and very "lightweight" compared to other virus scans. I have it installed on my VMWare Windows 7 Virtual machine and my Windows machine back at home.
+1 on a free software from Microsoft that works pretty good.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I understand. Anyways, the Sony laptop does have better specs. It's just sooo thick. I'll just have to download AVG, CCleaner and a Registry cleaner.

Well ever since I got a virus on my Dell laptop, I have been extra careful on all PC's. So I downloaded these programs. It's just my Aunt isn't so tech savy and she keeps opening her spam emails.

CCleaner and registry cleaners just slow down the computer. Seriously, if the computer has Windows 7 on it, and it's a sony, it'll look good, perform well, and she'll love having a fresh looking OS without having to relearn everything.

And you shouldn't need to install AVG or any anti-virus software, as it will probably come with one already. If it does, I'd uninstall it and install MSE.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Thank you for your opinion. If she wants a Sony, then I'll let her get a Sony.

What do you mean she gets to make her own purchasing decisions. Someone slap that biatch. Slap her good.

You are far more lenient than I could ever be.

Also, she might not want to learn OSX, but use what she is used to.

That, or perhaps she doesn't care what OS she uses to check her email and write MS Word documents. In this case, telling her "facts" about processor speed and the rest may not be worth your time, or hers. They're not actually selling points for someone who knows she has a slow machine at work, knows she has a faster machine at home, and yet can't tell the difference either way. :eek:

That, and anti-virus software usually comes with the computer for free, or for a really low price.

And then there's the issue of software, where she may already own copies of Office et al.

SamTheeGeek

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2010
United Kingdom

Hello There ,

Well it is a wise decision to choose Sony if your looking for Windows OS. Why ? because they are very well built , high quality and it lasts in my opinion. I'm a Sony Vaio Fan i got 5 of there laptops W series , AW Series , P Series , NR Series , FZ Series LoL and a couple more. Anyways my point is they are really good and your aunt can enjoy Windows 7 + you get more hardware spec's than the current Macbook Pro.

But if you ask me , I'm gonna wait for the macbook pro refresh and gonna switch to mac and hopefully won't be disappointed as it will be my first ever owned mac :).

Hope She Enjoys Her New Laptop :).

Dekimasu

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2008
Japan
Although you've heard this a few times already, I have to agree with your aunt at this point. There are worse things than an i3 Vaio. If she's not interested in waiting for the next update to the Mac laptops, getting a Sony is one of her best options.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR

Forget the Registry cleaner, they never work — especially on newer Windows systems.

Forget AVG, believe or not Microsoft’s free Security Essentials actually scores fairly high for effectiveness and it’s less demanding. It’ll never expire and it’ll be automatically updated by the OS so no annoying pop-ups to download the latest version. In Windows 7, it’s even hidden from the tray.

Thank you for your opinion. If she wants a Sony, then I'll let her get a Sony.

Good.

Here’s what I did with my extended family. I told them politely that if they are going to spend $700+ I recommended getting a MacBook ($999) or the iMac ($1200).

However, if they choose a PC for whatever reason — I’ll be glad to help them with the basics, but I’m not going to spend hours upon hours of my personal free time trying to fix their PC if something goes wrong.

It’s worked out well, and for the most part they understood.

SingaporeStu

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2009
Here’s what I did with my extended family. I told them politely that if they are going to spend $700+ I recommended getting a MacBook ($999) or the iMac ($1200).

However, if they choose a PC for whatever reason — I’ll be glad to help them with the basics, but I’m not going to spend hours upon hours of my personal free time trying to fix their PC if something goes wrong.

I'm totally with you on that one! I'm sooo sick and tired of cleaning my mom's computer after she opens all kinds of junk & spam mail. I'd ask her what sites she visited and what emails she'd opend, and she says: "Nothing, I didn't surf anywhere much. I only opened those emails from my Facebook friends..."

*forehead slap*

I think I'm gonna make her buy an iPad when it comes out, just to prevent the wastage of my time, which is worth much more than the cost of an iPad. Seriously, she doesn't need anything that the iPad can't do.

MacMini2009

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 22, 2009
California
Forget the Registry cleaner, they never work — especially on newer Windows systems.

Forget AVG, believe or not Microsoft’s free Security Essentials actually scores fairly high for effectiveness and it’s less demanding. It’ll never expire and it’ll be automatically updated by the OS so no annoying pop-ups to download the latest version. In Windows 7, it’s even hidden from the tray.

Good.

That's exactly why I suggested for her to get a Macbook because it's going to be me that's going to have to fix it. Oh well, Windows Security Essentials seems like a good way to protect your laptop.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Oh no please not Windows security essentials!

Download either AVG or Avira, both free, and Malwarebytes.

That combination takes care of most of the stuff people get on their win machines and they are much better then paid crapware such as Norton/Symantec (please no flames about norton or symantec, if you think they are good you are wrong).

I do see the OP's point though about having to be the one to fix computers. I bought my parents and sister macs so I wouldn't have to fix anything anymore but there are two rogue windows machines running around the house and every time I come home I have to fix/remove stuff on them *sigh*.

FieryFurnace

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Berlin, Germany
Oh no please not Windows security essentials!

Download either AVG or Avira, both free, and Malwarebytes.

That combination takes care of most of the stuff people get on their win machines and they are much better then paid crapware such as Norton/Symantec (please no flames about norton or symantec, if you think they are good you are wrong).

I do see the OP's point though about having to be the one to fix computers. I bought my parents and sister macs so I wouldn't have to fix anything anymore but there are two rogue windows machines running around the house and every time I come home I have to fix/remove stuff on them *sigh*.

Why not WSE? :confused:

Donar

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Germany
That's exactly why I suggested for her to get a Macbook because it's going to be me that's going to have to fix it.
Tell her that you had to fix her laptop x times in the last y months and won't fix it if it is messed up again, and that she probably will be better off with a MacBook. If she does not listen - don't give support that takes longer than 15 minutes.

thleeal

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
i brought a sony laptop

i brought a sony laptop back in 07, after 30 days the screen died, i tried to ring sony, but they insisted that my product was 1 year and 30 days old. took it back to pc world, well my GF did, and after much messing around, they shafted her with a ****** compaq, never brought a sony product again, after uni, i traded in my imac and brought a MBP 13 inch.
both the above models were vista another reason i made the jump to mac.

i hope that helps. <- by no means am i a fanboy, there are many SW issues wif my machine but its miles better than anything on windows.

peace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.