My "B" key doesn't work on my Clamshell iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by onegirlcreative, Jan 6, 2009.

1. onegirlcreative macrumors member

onegirlcreative

I just noticed while using my Clamshell iBook the other day that the "B" key no longer works on the keyboard. Not sure why all of a sudden it no longer works, but it doesn't. I have tried everything, and no luck.

Anybody have any ideas or suggestions? I guess I want to prolong taking it to Apple as much as I can because of the age of the laptop, I know it won't be cheap to fix—and obviously not worth it.

Here are the specs if it helps:

Lime Green Clamshell iBook, CD only, 366 MHz, 512 MB Ram, OS X v10.4

Any other questions, feel free to ask. Thanks again!
    Suzanne

2. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I'm sure you fan find used keyboards for the clamshell iBook for less then $10 shipped. That probably is the problem though, have you tried popping the key off to press the button to see if it still works? Could be really dirty and sticking?

3. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

You could go to the site Ifixit and see if they have any parts there or instructions how to take apart and maybe see if some dirt is stuck underneath the key board. Just a thought,maybe save you a trip and maybe a few bucks

4. onegirlcreative thread starter macrumors member

onegirlcreative

Yes, I have tried both of those suggestions. Still nothing.

5. onegirlcreative thread starter macrumors member

onegirlcreative

I guess it's something to look into. Thanks!!!

6. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Have you tried resetting the PRAM? Some of the keys stopped working on my PowerBook once. After talking to Apple we reset the PRAM and everything was fixed.

7. onegirlcreative thread starter macrumors member

onegirlcreative

No, I haven't. How do you do that?

I have an appt. on Friday with an Apple Genius, so I guess I will also bring it by them to see what they recommend.

8. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

The first six steps are what you want. You can ignore the rest of that support document.

9. onegirlcreative thread starter macrumors member

onegirlcreative

Well, I took it to the Apple Store today (the genius bar) and he reset the PRAM and that didn't work. He recommended that it's probably the cable going to the keyboard and sometimes it happens. I will most likely have to get a new keyboard for it, which could be pricey, but since I can't use the "B" key, it's pretty much useless for any sort of word processing (or internet navigating with websites that have a "B" in it).

Looks like I'll be checking out eBay....

10. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Doh! Well at least the replacement keyboards are pretty cheap on ebay and ifixit should have some nice pictures and instructions on how to replace it yourself.