My bad luck w/ MBP!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bebetc, Sep 9, 2008.

1. bebetc macrumors member

bebetc

Is this just me or I have a curse with a MBP, I got a new MBP at the beginning of July 08 and it only last me 2 weeks due to display problems, they replaced it at the store for a refurbished one which I didn't know, I found that my replacement was a refurbish 2 days ago when I call the tech support because again I was experiencing problems with my keyboard with some weird type of discoloration they offer me to repair it or to replace it and off course I choose the second option, now I am afraid of getting something bad again,even thought i have APP, they place the order already and I should be getting it pretty soon here is what they are sending me

MBP
    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy WS
    2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
    200GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    SuperDrive 8x DL
    No iWork Preinstalled
    No Final Cut Exp Preinstalled
    No Aperture Preinstalled
    No Logic Exp Preinstalled
    KYBD/User's Guide
    Country Kit

My MBP is the cheapest one but still I am worried, sad because this is my first Apple and my fist MBP :( what would guys do!!!

2. nephilim7 macrumors regular

you should raise some serious issues with the refurbished replacement.

Happy they are sending you a new one.. I bought a bum one as well. Crapped out 4 days after I got it. Replacement is running like a champ!

3. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

Just insist that they send you a brand new unit since that is what you payed for in the first place. Just call their customer service if it happens this second time

4. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Yeah that's pretty lousy of them to give you a refurb =\

5. DaveTheGrey macrumors 6502a

DaveTheGrey

absolutely! that wasn't ok that they gave a refurb

6. nonick macrumors member

hi all,
    sorry for this question, but i never had an apple computer before and i`m getting a mbp this autumn.
    how do you know whether your MBP is refurbished or new?
    are there any signs on the case? or is there any information in "about this mac"?

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Almost all replacement parts you get from companies are refurbished parts. I've replaced many parts on my old dell and all of them were refurbished. I didn't care and could care less unless they didn't work.

8. bebetc thread starter macrumors member

bebetc

Well when I call them about the problem of my keyboard that's how I found out,he was just like "do you know that your computer was a refurbishment" I freak out :eek::eek:, because like you say I don't know how to recognize any sings off a refurbished and I don't know if they have different information from what I have I guess I have to wait and see for the new one..... :(:(:(:(

9. bebetc thread starter macrumors member

bebetc

Ok thats true but when you are getting a replacement they should know that they should give you what you pay for pretty much to make you happy and if they are giving refurbish replacements and they are not telling you how would you feel (when you pay full price):(:( not very happy ahhh especially after almost 3 months later....

10. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Replacement parts are almost ALL refurbished. Electronics, Automobiles, everything. When you have to replace something, mostly in the electronics industry, they give you a refurbished part mostly because they have tested the product to see if they work or not.

When a company receives a new product, they are not tested. They are actually installed and hope it works.

However, saying it is refurbished does not mean the product is. It is more likely that the product is opened, open box are considered refurbished also, and tested before it is sent to you.

Personally, I have no problem with refurbished replacement parts, because think about it, your system is no longer new so whats the point of putting a new product in the system when a refurbished would work just as well. Or in your case, doesn't work.

For you, my advise is send it in, let them fix it, if its not upto your standards, complain to them about it. Don't be paranoid especially if its not your fault. You might get lucky and get a lemon system, then Apple would be required to give you a completely brand new system.

11. nonick macrumors member

hm...let`s say i buy a new MBP, does it mean i should call apple to find out whether its a refurb or not?

there must be a way to recognize this without calling apple...
    does anyone else know how?
    i watched an "unboxing video" on youtube and it looks like there is a small apple label on the package, which you have to put off before opening it.
    is there a label on new products only?

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

If it's a refurbished system, there should be a sticker within the battery compartment.

13. nonick macrumors member

ok, thanks for this tip :)