My bad luck with mbp ram slot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madmartigan, Mar 21, 2008.

1. madmartigan macrumors member

So i finally got my mbp the other day and decided to upgrade the ram, well i took off the battery and began unscrewing the ram compartment.

All of the screws came up easily except one, which looked stripped a little, I tried unscrewing it but only made matters worse. There was no way I was getting that thing out. So I brought it to the apple store and the apple genuis could not get it out as well and this is what he told me to do

"put some glue in the thread hole and then put a screw in the hole, let it dry and then unscrew it with the new screw."

I actually tried this, but I was super carefull and did not get a spec of glue anywhere but in the hole, of coarse it did not work.

I then called apple and was connected to a really nice rep. I told him my situation and how the screw already looked stripped and how the others came out real easy. Also told him about the bad advice given from the guy at the apple store.

He told me that he wanted me to send it to apple to let them fix it, and that since the apple genius told me to do his glue idea then he would write that in his report since that was technically me voiding my warrenty,

He said it would take about 4 days after i ship it to recieve it back, so thats pretty good.

I really just want to play on my mbp but I can't stand the fact that I can't get the other 2gigs in yet.

2. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

glue in a striped thread??? wow I dont know what they are teaching those geniuses these days.

3. liquidsense macrumors member

Wait, what? You couldn't get one of the four screws out because the top had been stripped, right? So you were then told to put glue in one of the holes?!!? I don't get it. I thought you said that the screw would not come out. How could you get glue into the thread hole then?

Or were you saying that you put glue in the stripped head of the screw, such that you could fit a screwdriver into the stripped head? I'm confused.

Edit - ok, nevermind. I guess you mean that you were somehow able to squeeze glue between the hole and the screw that was lodged in the hole. Got it.

4. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

With me it was the first screw that gave me the problem; but I finally got it out and then back in... good luck.