My bad year is over, yours?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by EvanLugh, Dec 31, 2008.

1. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

I just felt like I needed to write this. This year has been a terrible one for me. How has your year turned out like?

I've been diagnosed with an chronic-illness (which, wasn't actually my fault per se), lost two of my best friends in RTA (road traffic accident) and have been at constant war with family members.
    I've had my debit account hi-jacked & went on holiday to portugal Jan '08 to find out by email work is 'moving' me around..
    The credit crunch hasn't helped either, and I'm sure I can speak for others when I say plans had to change. I was due to move house three months ago but the estate agents fell through.

I just hope next year is going to be a good, significant and joyful year not just for myself but for you all.

Happy new year :)

2. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

^^ Sorry to the OP for such an unfortunate 2008.

Cheer up, 2009 will bring you great health and happiness!

My 2008 was about average. Nothing much really happened. Hopefully 2009 will bring something exciting to everyone! :D

3. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My 2008 was great because I learned a lot from it. Wasn't fun, had some not great health stuff happen and my dog was put to sleep; but in a way I needed that. But on the clearly positive side I've had some very nice job offers and a lot is being set up to make 2009 an ace year for me (and the ol' girlfriend).

Though it's been a much bigger rollercoaster ride than any other year I wouldn't trade it for anything.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Mine was bad too. I got shingles, my parents' house burned down, and now I have carpal tunnel syndrome. 2008 was very bad.

5. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

2008 definitely wasn't a fun year. However, I don't see 2009 being much better.

6. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Car Broken into, Stolen wallet, Stolen purse.
    Gun pulled on me.
    Car Accident.
    Cancer scare (Everything is okay now)

(Wow, that really makes my neighborhood look bad...)

Let's hope that 2009 brings the best.

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Goodness, I'm sorry for all those who have had a bad year. 2008 was a wonderful year for me. Since this time last year I met the love of my life, moved to a new country for a fresh start, got married and inherited two beautiful step-children, and just now over the holidays I found out we are going to have a baby. I've had bad years too, though. Life is a series of ups and downs. Hopefully those of you who were down this year will find greater fortune in the next one.

8. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Man, and I thought I was having a bad year until I read some of these posts. For everyone that's going through bad times, there's always someone that's going through worse. Kinda puts everything into perspective.

May 2009 be...at least better...for all of us!

9. Saikou macrumors 6502

Saikou

I agree. It's important to not take for granted some of the things we never really think about in life until they happen. Like not getting robbed, or not contracting a chronic illness. Sometimes we really need to glance back and realize how good we have it.

Those who've suffered - hang in there. I hope 2009's a much better year for you.

10. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Don't hope for a happy 2009. Make it your new year's resolution to enjoy it whatever happens.

11. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

2008 wasn't the best but looking back wasn't the worst. Credit crunch has definitely put a lot of stress in my life which I am trying to combat by thinking and staying positive. But I have a roof over my head and food in the stomach and a wife and son who truly love me, so I am very thankful for that.

I know it's not much, but try to make an attempt each day to think positive. The biggest thing I have learned this year is there is something out there that is greater than all of us, whether you believe in a god or not or something else
    there is truly something that is bigger and I hold true to the knowledge that that something bigger is watching over me and will take care of me and guide me to where I need to go.

2009 will be better because it is in the future and the future is always brighter.. :) Happy New Year to all and may it be everything you hoped, no, dreamed it will be....

12. EV0LUTION macrumors 6502

EV0LUTION

LIES! they said that to me when 2007 was ending!

this year sucked, my mentor died and half the people I know joined the military! why was I the only intelligent one and went to college :(

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Well, my Father passed away in April; my favorite dog of 15 years passed away in August; and my 96 year-old Grandmother passed away in November, so I'm pretty certain it's been a brutal year for me and my family. I'm truly looking forward to the celebration welcoming 2009...

14. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Yeah, other than getting married - 2008 sucked balls.

I hope 2009 is better.

15. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

My 2008 was bad

1. Family problems
    2. Depression / Anxiety
    3. My Mums, Mum and Dad have both been in hospital this year. 1 of them broke there arm and needed surgery the other with a blocked vein in his neck causing mini strokes ---> this is till ongoing to risky to operate!
    4.My Dads mum and sister both had heart problems and were admitted to hospital. My nanna now needs a pace maker. My Dad got tested also and has a small blockage in one of the veins in the heart

16. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

My 2008 blew too.

- I finally admitted to myself this year that I suffer from depression, and still haven't told anyone except for my best friend yet.
    - I realized that I don't have any close friends. For two years, my old best friend and I fought, and that ruined pretty much all of my friendships. The people who I hung out with were more on his side than mine. Now, we talk, but we don't hang out as we have two totally different lifestyles now.
    - My sister moved back in with my nephew, new neice, and her husband. It's really hectic around here, and I feel invisible.
    - My dad was diagnosed with leukemia in March. It's in remission now, but he still has to do his chemo, which makes him really grouchy and irritable all of the time.
    - My grades suffered because of my depression. I got my first C in High School, which was almost (.6 percent off) a D. I feel too lazy to get off of my computer and start homework because it seems like such a daunting task. So, I put it off and it, in turn, becomes a bigger homework load with less time. But I can't help it. I lack all motivation to do anything.
    So this year sucked. :(

17. n8mac macrumors 6502

2008 was my 8th year in a row with bipolar, yay. It does make me thankful for what I do have.

18. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery, i only told my best friend about my problems, then eventually i had to tell my parents.

19. Woder-Woman macrumors member

sounds like 2008 was bad for everyone (including me) but im sure it can only get better :D

20. phas3 macrumors 65816

- Went to iraq for the second time in march
    - Suffering from PTSD and Depression
    - THe girl i was dating and was in love with doesn't care much about me anymore after i left for iraq
    - Bills just keep piling up
    - Friends are so distant now

my year isnt as bad as some others but i still feel this year sucked for me, i hope 2009 is better, time to turn pages and end chapters guys.

21. manadospace macrumors newbie

happy new year, cheers
    i always positive think about live only do the best what we can do:) and also iam easy man never think so hard happy man, so never have problem with anyone

22. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

My bad year was 07, I had 7 surgeries in 07 from a 80MPH motorcycle accident. 08 Was much better, and 09 hopefully will be even better. If you don't have your health you don't have anything. Happy New Year!

23. MBX macrumors 65816

Even though you might not believe in astrology the constellation of the stars for 2008 was just pretty much against everybody it seems.

Individuals, Politics, Economy, World.

I had a bad year as well but of course there seem to be always worse things in life.

And we learn from negative experiences as well. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.

I don't expect 2009 to be much better since the "negative" constellation could go on until 2012 but at least our expectations are much lower and we're prepared a little better.

Also today i went to give a full bag of change to a home-less who'd probably never expected it. Just to show little support to people who have it much worse than us.

Happy 09 and good luck

24. timerollson macrumors 65816

This year went by really quickly, imo. It had its ups and downs. I had one major setback that will carry over into the first couple of months, but in the scheme of things, I know it could've been worse.

I honestly don't know what to expect in 2009 because life works so strangely.

25. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I am bracing for a dour 2009 followed by another dismal 2010, given the enormity and depth of the economic problems. :(
    Well, what can I do...other than hoarding cash and being in the defensive mode?