My band's entire website, gone

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thesdx, Nov 16, 2008.

1. thesdx macrumors 6502a

Just a few minutes ago, I pulled up iWeb to work on my band's website, only to find that it's nearly all gone. :mad: Only one page of the site remains, and everything else just shows a blank screen. When I try and publish it to a folder, it gives me "Publishing error, an unknown error occured." I simply can't have this happen. This website has taken me over a year to create, and now it's trashed. Where does iWeb store the website? Is there some way I can get it back? I've tried everything, but have had no luck. :(

Attached Files:

2. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

Stupid question: Do you have a backup? E.G. Time Machine?

3. thesdx thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, no. :(

4. kolax macrumors G3

If the website is online, then you can save the HTML pages.

iWeb is good for starting, but if you spent a whole year on this, you are obviously keen on web design and iWeb really isn't good apart from making it really simple.

I don't think iWeb can open HTML pages either.

Get Dreamweaver CS4 - if you are a student, you can get very good deals on it or by other means. They offer a 30-day trial, so you can see if you'll be able to learn it.

iWeb is limited in that you can't edit the code and you are stuck with templates. You'll be able to edit any iWeb website in Dreamweaver though and do much more than what iWeb could offer.

5. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

Ok I did a little digging with my tripwire software. It saves the site in this directory.

~/Library/Application Support/iWeb/Domain.sites

on my machine. Easiest way to get there, go to Finder, cmd-shift-G, and copy-paste that exact path into the dialog box. Find your file and dbl click to open it.

Edit: Go the store. Buy an external hard drive. Turn on time machine. Do it now.

6. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

Every time I use that program, I end up going into developer mode and just editing by hand. I honestly think you can get cleaner and better separated code if you learn it the right way (HTML, CSS). Once you do, you will be able to think in terms of the logical divisions that really exist in the standards, and you will be able to produce faster and better stuff.

7. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

Ditto. For me, programs like Dreamweaver and iWeb only add unnecessary clutter to my site :)

8. kolax macrumors G3

Eh? Dreamweaver adds unnecessary clutter to your site? A professional web design application?

What do you use for websites?

9. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

This is off-topic, but I use TextMate and hand code. It seriously causes less headaches.

OP, were you able to find your site?

10. Killer-B macrumors newbie

Killer-B

Try RapidWeaver from RealMac SW - Far better than iWeb -but not as complex (or robust) as Dreamweaver... Depends what your programming level and skills are... but after 20 years with CS2/3/4 I've moved to RW and am having fun again... great stuff - and inexpensive ($79) vs. $1200!:p