Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
My bank alerted me that my account had been flagged for Apple Pay fraud, but they wouldn't give me any information on what the fraud was.

They told me that there has been "a lot of fraud with Apple Pay"

And I said, "But I thought Apple Pay was supposed to be more secure" and the CSR said, "Well it's not."

Every time I try to add any of my cards on Apple Pay, it fails.

mpavilion

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2014
SFV, CA, USA
My bank alerted me that my account had been flagged for Apple Pay fraud, but they wouldn't give me any information on what the fraud was.

And I said, "But I thought Apple Pay was supposed to be more secure" and the CSR said, "Well it's not."

I read that originally, many banks weren't doing the phone verification step when a customer added a card, and so fraudsters were adding cards that were not their own (and then racking up charges).

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
I read that originally, many banks weren't doing the phone verification step when a customer added a card, and so fraudsters were adding cards that were not their own (and then racking up charges).
Most still aren't. At best they're sending a text code.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014

That's why my card only does phone verifications and not text verifications.

I read:
The vulnerability in Apple Pay is in the way that it — and card issuers — “onboard” new credit cards into the system. Because Apple wanted its system to have the simplicity for which it has become famous and wanted to make the sign-up process “frictionless,” the company required little beyond basic credit card information about a user. Nor did it provide much information to the banks, like full phone numbers and addresses, that might help them detect fraud early.

Apple Pay is messed up.

I thought Apple Pay was supposed to make paying safer, but it's actually doing the opposite.

If my bank thinks I'm red flagged for fraud just by simply adding my card to Apple Pay, then I should not add it to Apple Pay at all.

Do they want us to use it or not?

If I try to add my card, it will fail.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
What your bank should be saying is Apple is secure and that your bank is not because they do not verify. Banks don't care that much about security because in the end, they do not get punished if they screw up. If you get your identity stolen because of their actions, well, it's tough luck. You have to clean up the mess. Banks are hacked all the time. In fact, they pay out millions to hackers every year to get back the info that was stolen. The criminals encrypt the data stolen and then demand ransoms from the banks to get it back. If you only knew how little security there is in the banking industry. What really is happening is that CC are stolen, whether one loses a wallet, or is stolen from a table etc, and then being added to the thief's iphone. Then they rack up charges before the person even realizes it. That happens everyday and is not exclusive to Apple. A thief doesn't need an iPhone to do that. CC fraud is so prevalent that a criminal sure doesn't need an iphone to rob you blind. They can steal info via wifi. They can skim your card. They can install keystroke software on your computer and every time you log into your bank or make on online purchase, they can steal your info. Fraud via Apple play is so small compared to regular CC fraud. I would bet the percentage of credit cards cancelled due to Apple pay is less than 1% of all credit card fraud. You are more likely to get your info stolen just by swiping your card at any store, atm or gas pump.

Do you know that the credit card skimmers at gas stations are locked with one universal key? Anyone who has access to make a copy of that key can open any gas pump in the US and place a fraudulent skimmer inside the pump, and you would never know it. It allows you to purchase the gas, your card is properly charged, and then it steals your info from that card.

Last edited:

perkedel

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
California

Which bank?
I'm with Wells Fargo, never had fraud issue, or any issue. Retailers just need to get on board with apple pay, that's the only issue I have with Apple Pay.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
What your bank should be saying is Apple is secure and that your bank is not because they do not verify. Banks don't care that much about security because in the end, they do not get punished if they screw up. If you get your identity stolen because of their actions, well, it's tough luck. You have to clean up the mess. Banks are hacked all the time. In fact, they pay out millions to hackers every year to get back the info that was stolen. The criminals encrypt the data stolen and then demand ransoms from the banks to get it back. If you only knew how little security there is in the banking industry. What really is happening is that CC are stolen, whether one loses a wallet, or is stolen from a table etc, and then being added to the thief's iphone. Then they rack up charges before the person even realizes it. That happens everyday and is not exclusive to Apple. A thief doesn't need an iPhone to do that. CC fraud is so prevalent that a criminal sure doesn't need an iphone to rob you blind. They can steal info via wifi. They can skim your card. They can install keystroke software on your computer and every time you log into your bank or make on online purchase, they can steal your info. Fraud via Apple play is so small compared to regular CC fraud. I would bet the percentage of credit cards cancelled due to Apple pay is less than 1% of all credit card fraud. You are more likely to get your info stolen just by swiping your card at any store, atm or gas pump.

Do you know that the credit card skimmers at gas stations are locked with one universal key? Anyone who has access to make a copy of that key can open any gas pump in the US and place a fraudulent skimmer inside the pump, and you would never know it. It allows you to purchase the gas, your card is properly charged, and then it steals your info from that card.

[GASP] CRIMINY. Basically what I do is I just get a new card number and never swipe it.

Can they even steal your login if you're just on Wi-Fi on your iPhone?

Which bank?
I'm with Wells Fargo, never had fraud issue, or any issue. Retailers just need to get on board with apple pay, that's the only issue I have with Apple Pay.
Citibank.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
Yes, he also had issues with the images of his cards on the phone not appearing the same as the actual cards.
Capital One confirmed that and said they would fix that but they are taking a LONG TIME. Meanwhile I'm not using Apple Pay for them.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
Which bank?
Retailers are the root of the issue. Their terminals are either not updated, not being used, or they do not support it. Either way, they do whatever they can do to make sure that you are not using Apple Pay, that you are not using your EMV chips, and they are making SURE your credit card information gets stolen.

They just build a brand new Target in my city just yesterday. And guess what. It was swipe only. You thought they would've learned by now. But they didn't.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Sounds like you are really looking forward to the extra level of personal security that you will get with Apple Pay.
Life can be tough when your assorted banks give you so many challenges.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
Sounds like you are really looking forward to the extra level of personal security that you will get with Apple Pay.
Life can be tough when your assorted banks give you so many challenges.
And retailers especially. No one has been taught on it and are just as clueless as ever. Not even the banks know anything about EMV or Apple Pay.

Meanwhile the swindlers just keep swindling. And let me tell you, I've seen customers getting swindled money out of their accounts for YEARS.

JSB1540

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
Your bank red flagged it. What bank are you using? You can't blame Target because your bank messed up with their security! (Although all major retailers need to get on board, I fail to see where that correlates with your problem.)

JSB1540

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
Some big box retailers will be on board in a couple months because their agreement with CurrencyC (whatever) is set to expire and they will not be in default with that agreement made in 2012. Best Buy is one.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
Your bank red flagged it. What bank are you using? You can't blame Target because your bank messed up with their security! (Although all major retailers need to get on board, I fail to see where that correlates with your problem.)

To be honest I just think Citibank put me on alert because I added and deleted their debit card on Apple Pay numerous times and I just replaced my iPhone after my previous one broke. AND I just moved.

JSB1540

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
To be honest I just think Citibank put me on alert because I added and deleted their debit card on Apple Pay numerous times and I just replaced my iPhone after my previous one broke. AND I just moved.
Perhaps! They should put a SCARLET red flag on your account. I hope you get it worked out, but that would certainly seem to be the problem.

JSB1540

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
I use a Citibank credit card for apple pay. They have a text verification step after you add it after the first time, and the first time you add it you actually have to do a phone verification. Not sure how yours got stolen.
Not sure that he said it was stolen. The bank simply put a fraud alert on it after seeing unusual activity - the numerous times he put his card on and off of Apple Pay, different phones, different address. These things will flag an account. Any CC company will flag an account for unusual activity e'g' large purchase in strange city, many small charges ($1) in a number of convenience stores (someone is testing the card), etc. I always alert the bank if out of the country, yet have had an account flagged because at the same time auto payments were going through while I was in Bali. - a phone call straightened it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.