My Battery Has Been Used Too Much????

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by help!!!!!, Jan 22, 2009.

1. help!!!!! macrumors member

Last night I brought in my previous gen. MacBook Pro because a few keys fell off and my battery only lasted 3 hours. I got a call today saying that it was ready, but they could not swap out the battery because it is out of warranty (they said I have used it too much) and I would have to pay $129 even though I have AppleCare. I bought this computer 11 months ago. What is going on and shouldn't the battery last more than 11 months??

2. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

im guessing you have more than 200 cycles on it.

3. help!!!!! thread starter macrumors member

Yea but honestly?? This just seems unfair, its their fault that it cannot last this long.

4. Jblack4083 macrumors regular

Lucky you. I have 155 cycles and have had my laptop for 16 months. My battery health is at 25% and I get about 45 minutes out of it. I have to replace it myself also.

How do they get away with selling subpar batteries? If I was someone who brought my laptop to class everyday, I'd do it 155 times and then my battery would be effed.

5. SkeffMBP macrumors member

"only" 3 hours?

Depending on your MacBook Pro, 3 hours really isn't bad. My old MBP (2.33 Core 2) with a new battery installed lasted about that long, and my new Unibody lasts just over 4 hours with the 8600GT turned off.

6. help!!!!! thread starter macrumors member

Lucky, plus I didn't even use my computer all of June and July. So thats 9 months in been in use. I am really getting mad about this.

7. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Actually, you should be blaming those damn physicists. All their "laws" of the universe and crap. If they would just let us do whatever we wanted instead of limiting us with their arbitrary "Laws of Thermodynamics", we could get reasonable battery life. And by "reasonable", I mean "whatever each individual user thinks is fair".

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Not Apple's fault, it is a problem with the battery technology ...

Should be interesting if Apple's attempts to work around some of the issues in the MacBook Pro 17 work long term and across the board in the majority of the hot/cold-humid/dry areas.

If Apple had the GM-style battery testing facilities, and showed them off to the public ... i'd be more satisfied instead of adopting a wait and see attitude.

9. help!!!!! thread starter macrumors member

I meant 3 hours on standby.

10. shadownddust macrumors member

Haha. Unfortunately, that's true. In a lot of my materials science classes, there's talk about making better batteries, but as of right now the main problem that you are running into is use, not time. A battery wears out because the constant charging and discharging cycles cause the components within it to eventually crack, leading to battery fatigue. Until we are able to develop better technologies, there's nothing that apple, or anyone really, can do about it, besides using much better (read much more expensive) materials.

11. help!!!!! thread starter macrumors member

Ahh this is turning into a physics class, can I just please get an answer. How is it not under warranty even though I paid however much for AppleCare last summer?

12. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The MBP 2.5 that I bought yesterday didn't even allow me to charge it, though I had it on charge since 5PM yesterday. Apple is sending a new battery and magSafe adapter, should arrive tomorrow. How do they test these MBPs before leaving the factory? I'm just amazed that a factory sealed MBP can leave the factory in an unsatisfactory condition, in which the computer doesn't even turn on, let alone operate...:(

13. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Because batteries are considered consumables. They have a limited lifespan. It is explained in the documentation that came with your notebook and Applecare. Apple will replace your battery if it is defective - "when the failure or diminished capacity is the result of a manufacturing defect."

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The batteries are a line item and only under warranty for so many cycles.

15. help!!!!! thread starter macrumors member

Doesn't seem fair.

16. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

What would you consider fair?

17. help!!!!! thread starter macrumors member

The warranty for the entire computer including the battery because it IS the computer.

18. lordthistle macrumors 6502

I do not like too much apple HW and apple QC, but, frankly, 200 cycles are not that few.

19. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The warranty is for the entire computer including the battery. It only covers manufacturing defects.

The battery is consumable, like toner in a printer. Once it runs out, you need to get a new one. If it runs out prematurely due to a defect, Apple will replace it under warranty.

Can you really expect Apple to replace batteries for the full length of the Applecare warranty (up to 3 years)? If someone used a laptop 24/7 on battery power (except for recharge, of course), they could go through 10 to 20 batteries in that time!

20. shadownddust macrumors member

That would be nice, but the problem is that of all the components, the battery is the quickest to fail, and the most difficult to give an accurate sense of wear. For you 200 cycles is about a year, and for me it looks like it's going to be somewhere in that ballpark too, but if apple had to cover $100 for everyone to use the computer on top of what they already cover, then they would just add that on to the cost of the hardware, and we'd all pay the extra even if we didn't use it in that way.

It would be like a printer company including ink in the warranty for their machine or a car company including a year's worth of gas.

21. shadownddust macrumors member

lol, glad we are on the same page.

22. niemo810 macrumors member

Not to lecture you on battery usage...

But you not using it for two months probably hurt it. more than you actually using it. This is all based on assumptions, but I assume while you weren't using the computer, you stored it with the battery at 100% charge. Rechargeable batteries should be stored at about 40%. If they're stored too low, they could enter what's called a "deep discharge" which basically means that the battery doesn't have enough juice to accept a charge. If the charge is too high... well I don't know what happens, but I know it has an impact on your battery's overall capacity.

It has nothing to do with Apple--Just rechargeable batteries in general. This applies to your cell phone, home phone, iPod, etc.

23. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Hmmm... anyone Remember Ni-Cads...???

:eek::cool::p:D:apple: I wanted to USE more, but... ;)

24. MagicWok macrumors 6502a

How is this Apple's fault that the batteries are rubbish?

Don't sony supply the guts of the battery?

25. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

614 cycles and still 78% of org. capasity

614 cycles and still 78% of org. capasity

and the 52 min remaining is until charged

Attached Files: