my bATTERY MAX OUT AT 96% NOW??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jesusplay, Apr 6, 2012.

1. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

I've had my MacBook Pro early 2011 17 for 5 days and now the percentage at the top has dropped over the last 2 days from 100 to 97 and now 96%.

What does this mean???? It's a new computer not used..:confused::confused::confused:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

discharge your battery and use it a few times.

my 2011 got down to 93 percent and is back up to 97 percent after using the battery a bit. if it lives on AC, the battery won't be used and will degrade.

4. jesusplay thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh, it kills the battery to always have it connected?:eek: I didn't know that.

I only have to be portable like twice a month....

thanks

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Read the FAQ I posted. It will tell you how to get the most out of your battery.

6. hafr macrumors 68030

It means that the battery is losing its charge because it's not being used, and the charger won't recharge the battery until it hits about 93 %. Nothing to be worried about, it's nothing else than an indicator of how much the battery is charged.

The other replies seem to be concerning your battery health, but you're talking about the charge - not the health.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's not the only scenario. It could also mean that enough demand was placed on the system that it drew power from the AC adapter and the battery, draining the battery somewhat. This is normal.
    The OP's terminology "percentage at the top" could be interpreted as health or charge percentage. The Battery FAQ addresses both issues.

8. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Are you talking about charge percentage or battery health?

How are you checking this?

9. hafr macrumors 68030

Having the laptop for five days, apparently being quite clueless and talking about the percentage at the top, I'm guessing it's the charge percentage...