iPhone X My battery percentage increased with soft restart

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aljon, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Aljon macrumors newbie

Aljon

Hi, so i just done charging to 81%, and then after 1 hour i didn't used the phone yet, And i did a soft restart on my iPhone X then i checked my battery percentage it increased 4% to its 85% its weird. Is this Normal or is there something that i can do to fixed it? And btw I'm just charging my Phone Every 30% to 80%

2. littlemidge macrumors member

littlemidge

Seems normal to me. I’ve always gone with the assumption that your battery % is just a rough figure. It’s never 100% accurate. Edit. I’ve also got into the habit of not checking the % anymore unless it’s really low. I’m glad it’s not visible on the Xs / Xs Max without swiping down :p

On a similar note.. I did a hard full reset the other day and my battery health jumped from 93% back up to 95%.

3. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

apart from the fact that the percentage is not super precise.

Are you sure all this babysitting around your battery health is worth it to maybe save $50 for a replacement battery in 2 years? just to spend it after 2.5 years - seams to be a pretty bad wage rate...

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Why are you babysitting you iPhone battery?

The battery percentage thing can and will vary from day to day.

5. Aljon thread starter macrumors newbie

Aljon

So the 20-30%-80% is not advisable?
    So the 20-30%-80% is not advisable?

6. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

It helps the battery, but only if you're going to keep the phone 5+ years. Just using your phone is advisable. Most people get a new phone every 2-3 years. Doing the 30-80% probably won't have a big effect on the battery longevity over that time period (2-3 years). And it is very inconvenient.

I've found keeping my phone at >=90%+ means the phone never charges at full speed and is a lot less stress on the battery. I use coconutBattery to monitor my battery health over the life of my phones. I've found this to be great for keeping design capacity. Trickle charging 90%+.

I'm not going to go out of my way to keep it there, but since I work at a desk and I have chargers all over my house, work, and car - it spends most of its life there. After 2 years my phones are usually within a percentage or 2 from the capacity they had when I got them.

7. Newtons Apple, Aug 9, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2019

Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Maybe it is advisable if you are going to store and not use the phone. I charge my 8+ to about 80% about ever 4 months.

It is not that it is not advisable, it just not worth the trouble. Unless your whole life revolves around your iPhone, watching your battery so carefully is a waste of your time.

I just toss mine on the wireless charger at bed time and not worry about it.

My battery health is still 100% on my MAX purchased on introduction day. My spare 8+ has dropped to 96%.

8. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

It is advisable, for those who wish to try to help the prolong the life of the battery, but for most users, it's not practical, and the reduced utility is not worth the trade off for whatever benefit it may provide. Think of it as a "best practice," which we know is not how most people live their lives.

A corollary is that for longer term storage, charge it to about half, and leave it at that. Don't put it away drained, or full. New batteries ship with about half charge from the factory, to account for the time they'll in transport and in inventory. New transport safety rules are going to lower that figure slightly.

The battery percentage can fluctuate by small amounts across reboots; it's been that way as long as I can remember with iOS.