My beige G3server

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Mycatisbigfoot, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Mycatisbigfoot macrumors regular

Well my old g3 server is having a big problem!

It won't Boot
    There is no light or bong, or display,

The last time it booted was when I had a ram chip installed the wrong way and a puff of smoke came out, and thats the last i saw of that computer,

But I'm thinking its the old p-ram batt,

And if I can get this computer working, I have a question can I put it in a pc tower, as the server was in a Kids room and there is pain and all of this gunk on the computer, and i would like to make it look a bit nicer as there frnt plates are all missing and what not,

Also what OSX server would be the best to run on it?

I have apple Ip share 6, Os X 10.3 server and OSX 10.4.7 server (Won't work on a g3)

All I need the computer to do is Netboot other Imacs and to file shair and also Open Directory and apple update server and some light Network DCHP service

as I have 2 Nic cards for the computer I can put,

One network card is my main network and then other one is for the computers that netboot, and the netboot computers can get on the web still, You know? thanks btw

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

If you saw a puff of smoke, then at the VERY LEAST that RAM slot is dead. If the smoke came from the power supply (which is quite possible, since currents were reversed), then you also probably need to replace that. I'd guess that it's either that or that the whole motherboard (or at least the RAM section, which amounts to pretty much the same thing) is fried, but if that is the case you can probably find a replacement cheap, or even a "for parts" replacement to swap things out with. Good luck!

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Why not pick up a cheap old G4? I see 400mhz models littered all over the web. You can probably pick one up for $20 or possibly free. Cheaper than fixing that dinosaur G3 :D

4. Mycatisbigfoot thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I geting a G4 soon, as I am trading a 700Mh imacg3 for a 400MH g4 Agp Power mac, the power mac has a small hdd 128Mb of ram, And out of all of that I'm going to upgrade it I', thinking here the power spuly is dead, but it came from the ram, as i put it in backwards, But yea that thing is a dino