My best option to upgrade ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Che Castro, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Che Castro macrumors 603

I have an iPhone 6 64gb on at&t next plan
    Next 18 plan, got it on release day

I want to upgrade to the 6+
    What's my best cheapest option here to get the 6+

I do have another line that's eligible for an upgrade but I don't want another $30 on top of my current bill

2. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

Sell the iphone 6 and buy the plus at unlocked price.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Other than figuring out what you really want before you buy, this seems like the best option.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

1. Sell the 6
    2. Payoff the 6 through Next, which will open up Next eligibility on that line
    3. Buy 6+ on Next. Dependong on storage capacity, your Next installment will likely be the same or slightly more than with your 6. A 16GB plus will have your bill remain the same. Every stp up adds about $5/mo.

(Steps one and two are interchangable, however step two FIRST will allow you to unlock the device and likely demand a bit more cash/buyers)

You've already paid off what, three installments on the 6 you currently have? You can probably sell it for what your buyout costs, unlocked. Maybe even slightly more.

You can also try and see if someone wants to straight trade. I would confirm that the person trading you is no longer on Next (if they ever were) though. While you can technically trade devices on Next away without issues, if either of you skip o your bill, there could be problems down the road.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Doesn't Next allow you to trade in your phone so you can upgrade sooner. So get to the financing threshold and go that route.

personally I think you may out better by selling it, then paying off your Next contract and then buying a new one (as others stated)

6. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

I just faced the same dilemma and this is my plan although I have not sold my 6 yet. I just paid it off and bought the Plus on Next. My bill will be about $5 more. I realize everyone can't do it that way. I may even keep my 6 awhile and switch back and forth given that the regular 6 may work better in some situations. Yes, I'm spoiling myself but I've never owned 2 phones before but then again, I've never had 2 iPhone options like the 6 and 6 Plus. Best of both worlds I guess. :D

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If you can afford it I see nothing wrong with that. I spend way too much on ohones and tech myself to judge. ;)

8. Che Castro thread starter macrumors 603

how much should i sell the iphone 6 64gb for?

and what steps do i need to take before selling, like restore the phone or call at&T

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Check out swappa.com for pricing and possible sale.

Wipe it, removing your data (be sure to remove the find my phone option)