My biggest complaint about the MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Delighted, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Delighted macrumors 6502

Delighted

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've had my mbp for awhile, everything works perfectly fine. My biggest complaint about it however is the black plastic hinge cover. Why must it be plastic? why not aluminum?

That hinge cover is like the weakspot on the death star. It flexes if you apply pressure, it feels cheap, looks cheap. MBP overall is awesome despite that one fatal flaw.

dont take me wrong, I barely know anything about Apple hardware besides what I can see on the outside, but would it not be easy to break one of the connectors for the monitor if the hinge cover broke?

2. simsaladimbamba

It is plastic because of the WiFi antenna.

And btw, I just tested the hinge on my 2009 Unibody 17" MBP, and it didn't flex as much as the back of the display, but as I rarely put pressure on the hinge, I might not have such problem.

3. Delighted thread starter macrumors 6502

Delighted

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

i suppose you're right. damn i hate that plastic hinge.

4. YJamie85 macrumors member

YJamie85

5. Delighted thread starter macrumors 6502

Delighted

I dont normally apply pressure to it either but it's an annoyance for me non the less. Thanks for explaining it to me.

6. mac jones macrumors 68040

Yes that's right, it's one 'fatal' flaw.

Funny how I never even noticed this and have been using them for years.

Stupid me for not realizing this terrible flaw.

Off the Ebay to unload this lemon. Let some other sucker suffer.

thanks!

7. borisiii macrumors 6502

Mine has some hairline cracks in it exactly where the hot air is blown out the back when the laptop is open, so you can see it on the back when the laptop is closed. It looks like the heat causing the plastic to expand and contract produced internal stresses which eventually lead to cracks.

Mind you mine is a launch 2008 model, so they have probably ironed out the problems in subsequent revisions.

8. Delighted thread starter macrumors 6502

Delighted

Sarcasm and mean comments are not needed, you may disagree with my stance on it but I will stick with mine which is I simply do not like the hinge cover. Perhaps 'fatal' was too strong of a word, but I do think it is a weakness in an overall strong computer.

Now, please amuse yourself with this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcL6DwSufMI

Good day sir!

9. triptolemus macrumors 6502

triptolemus

I don't always apply pressure, but when I do, I prefer plastic... :cool:

10. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

Wow- I never noticed the hinge cover before reading this thread. I suppose it's because when the MacBook Pro is in use I never see the rear of the computer. :rolleyes:

Delighted, no offense intended, but you really need to get a life! :D

11. mac jones macrumors 68040

Ah, lighten up. I was just kidding. I saw your mistake and put it to use. :D

12. Delighted thread starter macrumors 6502

Delighted

I probably should, I just have such an eye for details.

I am very lightened, notice the video?

13. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

My MBP hinge creeks when I open/close it. That's the only issue I have with the hinge.

14. Delighted thread starter macrumors 6502

Delighted

I would suggest that you get the hinge looked at by the apple store geniuses. there are various reasons why it would creek(tight screws, cracked hinge, hinge caught on a wire, etc.) Apples usually nice about helping people with these stuff(if you dont have apple care, try to find a nice genius). Good luck

15. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

My fiancé's does, too. She has never commented on it, so I never bring it up. We both have early 2011 models and they are incredible.

16. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

I second the opinion that you should have the hinge checked.

I had an iBook... I think that it was my G3 model. Anyway, it had a tight hinge that could be heard across the room when it was moved. It turned out that a lot of G3 iBooks had the problem and in many cases the video cable would eventually be adversely affected. Apple fixed a ton of them under warranty.

Your problem probably isn't that major, but I offer my story to illustrate that the hinge is a vital part of your MBP. Better safe than sorry!