My biggest gripe with AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Smrtphoneaddict, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Smrtphoneaddict macrumors member

Hey, just posted this write up on my blog, what do you guys think?

You know lately AT&T has been taking a lot of heat because their network seems to keep getting slower and slower. Though we understand it's because everyone and their mother has an iPhone and is using data like crazy. It's still no excuse, AT&T should have been prepared for all these iPhones on their network. However this isn't are biggest complaint with AT&T. Are biggest complaint with AT&T is the fact that they are helping Apple make decisions on what Apps to approve and reject.

It all started with the Slingbox app which is amazing and has a great UI. It's only downside is that you have to be connected to a Wi-Fi network. If you have a BlackBerry or a Windows Mobile device you can use the Slingbox App over 3G. If AT&T got Apple to reject this app how in the world is DirecTV going to get it's Mobile Sunday Ticket App approved. If you don't know DirecTV recently announced that you will be able to stream games to your iPhone.

This brings me to AT&T's latest decision, reject any Google Voice App. Yeah Apple said that it duplicates funcaitionly that already exists on the iPhone, but do you really think Apple cares. It was AT&T that had Apple reject any Google Voice Apps from the App Store because what it could do to their network.

If AT&T is this insecure about their network then they shouldn't have the iPhone. When you think of the iPhone you think of tons and tons of Apps. AT&T is doing its best to limit the Apps.

http://www.smartphoneaddict.com/?p=461

2. alansaysstop macrumors regular

What is the big deal with the google voice apps thing? I don't understand it, it's all over twitter.

Someone please explain to me while this is so monumental that every blogger in the world is talking about it?

3. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I think it is generally people want what they can no longer have.

Two days ago when the app was available very few iPhone users where downloading google voice.

We all fall into that trap sometime or another.
    I know as soon as "Babyshaker" was no longer available I wanted it.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I never use all the minutes I have, so GV means nothing to me. And there's always email.

5. jlwillia macrumors regular

I hear you, but...

You bring up a few good points. However, if this is really going into a blog, you might want to double-check for typos. I spot at least three. As much as people claim that perfect grammar doesn't really matter in a blog, it still says something about it's author. I'm just saying.

It's like a "Where's Waldo" puzzle now.

Hint: The most obvious one is in the last sentence in the first full paragraph.

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Are > Our

7. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I dont get why its such a shocker that AT&T didnt want GV on the iphone!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Just jailbreak your iphone and then you can run any app thru 3G or Edge and there isnt much AT&T can do about jailbroken phones.

9. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

10. alansaysstop macrumors regular

Its similar to skype I take it? If you don't want to pay for wireless phone service, don't get a cell phone.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Be aware that GV Mobile is NOT a Google Application. Read the fine print before you add this app.....:eek::eek::eek:

12. The General macrumors 601

No, GV Mobile is. It would be EPICLY MONUMENTAL if Google released their apps in Cydia. Apple has rejected two of their apps in the past couple of weeks. First Latitude, then Google Voice. They forced Google to make Latitude a web app because apparently we're too stupid and would get it confused with the built-in Maps application.

"It is now clear to me that Apple has crossed the line into illegal anticompetitive behavior."

13. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Copied from GV Mobile on Cydia:

GV Mobile brings the power of Google Voice to your iPhone. (GV Mobile is not a product of Google).

GV Mobile allows users of Google Voice to:

Dial numbers via the iPhone address book or typing on the keypad
    Full SMS support (view historic, reply, send new)
    Retrieve and delete recent call history
    Playback and delete voicemails
    Take calls from different phones other than your iPhone
    Enable or disable the phones that Google Voice forwards calls to
    Add or delete phones that Google Voice forwards call to.

Of course, unless they released it COVERTLY.....:p:p:p

14. dancavallaro macrumors regular

Fixed that for you.

15. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

People, the decline of the English language irks me also. However, correcting grammar adds nothing to ANY thread (unless the correction significantly changes the intent of themessage). You should all refer to the forum rules for a refresher on etiquette.

"13. Corrections. There is no need to point out another poster's spelling or grammatical errors unless you think it is causing confusion. Remember that not all members are native English speakers. Communication, not correctness, is our goal. Examples: Don't correct members who spell Mac in all caps or who call the iPod touch an iTouch. "