my biggest problem: in car functionality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tomegun, Aug 9, 2008.

1. tomegun macrumors 6502

tomegun

I have two cars with iPod adapters, one built in and one aftermarket. I assumed I would be able to plug the iPhone in, charge and listen. It can't charge and I'm dissappointed about it. Do you think there will ever be a fix for this?

2. mpshay macrumors 6502

The factory Sync system (not bad for a MS product) in my Lincoln MKZ charges my ipod touch.

3. applehappy macrumors regular

TuneCast® Auto with ClearScan for iPhone and iPod

Couple of other posts about this. Belkin earned the "made for iPhone 3G" label for this and it works great. I bought mine at COSTCO for $64 and it included an in house duo charger and some extra cables. Works great. I did read some reviews of some unhappy customers with regard to reception, but I have really enjoyed it and get a perfect signal. Charges well and I get great reception on my car stereo. I used a Monster FM charger for my 1st gen iPhone, but it no longer worked with the 3G. The Monster one gave me awful GSM noise in the reception anyway, this Belkin model gives NO transmission noise!!
    http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=404646

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Apple have said they will be bringing an adapter out and a couple of companies have pre-announced them but they're pretty overpriced at the moment.
    I'm in the same position (I've got a Harman Kardon Drive and Play in my car) so am eagerly awaiting something to be released. In the meantime, I use my iPod in the car :(

5. DreamPod macrumors 65816

If the kits you have were cheap enough, you can just get new ones instead. It's not that all car kits don't work, just a few of them that didn't pay attention when Apple said they would be eventually dropping support for firewire power. Keep in mind that the "fixes" that are being worked on, are additional adapters that go between the iPhone and the car kit.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I spent a day taking my car to pieces to get the first one in (literally - I had to take most of the dash and centre console out to get to the radio!!), I'm not going to be in a hurry to change it until I change my car :D

I'll probably just continue to use my iPod in the car, but it's a bit of a pain because when the phone was connected it paused the music when a call came over the hands free kit which was very useful.

7. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

I have a Pioneer deck in my Accord and the iPod adapter in my BMW (335). This is not a gadget with reception over a radio station. I'm wondering if I will be able to add something to the back of my Pioneer deck or if the BMW adapter will change. It looks like I will have to wait and see.

8. applehappy macrumors regular

Not sure what you want for your car. I have a Honda Ipod connection installed directly to my glovebox that powers and controls my entire library on an older Ipod of mine. But, for my Iphone, I want a simpler charging option that will also allow me to play podcasts and new music (since I sync my iPhone daily) as well as Pandora stuff. An FM transmitter is the way to go.

9. Wolf103FM macrumors regular

I have the kensington cradle (charge only) and just swap the AUX 1 cable going to my Pioneer head unit between the phone, and my XM unit. Eventually I'll get an IP-Bus cable, and put the phone on AUX 2, and just leave AUX 1 for XM only
    [​IMG]

10. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

So, I have a head unit with integrated bluetooth and the ability to connect an ipod in my Accord. Plus, I have a BMW with iDrive, integrated bluetooth and the integrated iPod functionality - I can control the iPod with the iDrive controller.

And you tell me a FM transmitter is the way to go? Let me add this for you :) because you have to be kidding me. You should try an integrated system and tell me if you still think a FM transmitter is the way to go.

Oh, I forgot one thing. the iPhone isn't out in either one of these setups - it is in the glove box in the Accord and armrest in the BMW. Turn on bluetooth and everything is set without seeing it. Are you really sure a transmitter is the way to go?

11. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

Yes, in the case of the iPhone 3G (or original iPhone with 2.x firmware), an FM transmitter or connecting through an aux jack will be the way to go, even if you have the integrated systems in some of those cars like the BMW, because of the fact that now you have apps that you'll want to use, like Pandora internet streaming radio, which don't have anything to do with the ipod function and cannot be controlled remotely. You'll want to have the phone out and be able to touch the screen occasionally (at red lights hopefully).

12. spartan55 macrumors newbie

That's a hot set up in the pic! :D

13. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

While this is a major bummer, I will not clutter up the interior of my car; that is the main purpose for bluetooth and iPod integration. I can use the Aux on occasion, but most of the time I will just use the iPhone when I want to hear what is on it, remove it to plug it in to charge it up and listen to Sirius in the meantime. All of this happens out of site in the arm rest in the BMW. Personally, I have never liked the FM transmitters and I don't want to add any additional cables, portable GPS cords, radar detector cords or iPhone cords to the interior.

14. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

nothing you can really do then if you dont want to go FM transmitter. you are just going to have to wait and then pay up. the proprietary connector and crippled bluetooth dont really provide for flexible connectivity.

15. tomegun thread starter macrumors 6502

tomegun

To me all bluetooth is somewhat crippled with the promise of so much more. As far as waiting and paying up, I would rather to that then settle for making the interior of my car look like the car above. I don't make monthly payments to have my car looking like that. Of course, that is just my opinion.

16. freediverdude macrumors 6502a

Eventually, some cars will probably make their LCD screen act as a remote screen for phones like the iPhone. This is probably a few model years away, but eventually it will probably be fully integrated. Leave it to Apple to make all these expensive integrated iPod systems almost obsolete in one fell swoop, lol.