My Black MB refurb arrived today!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by danny_w, May 25, 2007.

1. danny_w macrumors 601

I had been wanting a black MB for a long time, but the prices were too high. When Apple released the new models last Tuesday, however, the refurb prices dropped dramatically on the 2.0/120GB C2D model from $1299 to just $1049, so I jumped on it. It arrived at work this morning, and you can't tell that it isn't new! I haven't done much with it now, since I'm at work, but the long weekend is coming, so I'll be playing with it for the next 3 days. I didn't really need the MB, since I have a perfectly acceptable iMac G5, but this will be used to replace it and I may sell the iMac. The MB unfortunately did not come with any extra RAM, so I may end up getting 2GB sometime down the line.

2. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Nice new machine. I suggest you change your signature! :p

3. Zer0 macrumors regular

Well congratulations. You say you cant say it isn't new? It probably is new! They would have just pushed all the brand new 'old C2D's' ;) into refurb store as soon as the new models were released.

4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

$1049? i thought it was $1099? there is none on the refurbsite right now so i can't check. if they had a white with 120GB i would be interested.

5. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

The white 2.0 with (I think) 80GB is only $50 less, so the black version is really a better deal. I forgot to check the hdd size in mine, but it should be 120GB (or bigger if it was a BTO).

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Following the Macbook upgrade, Apple's refurbished black MacBooks were lowered to $1049. A white MacBook refurb with 80GB hard drive dropped to $999. Both have 1GB RAM and super drive, with 2GHz C2D CPU. The refurbs go quickly. Shop early if you wish to buy. ;)

7. jaycrew macrumors member

congrats, i'm looking to buy a refurbed blackbook the next time they're in stock. 1049 is a fantastic price considering you're paying a premium for the black color if you buy new.

8. falling5tarr macrumors newbie

Congrats! I bought the 2.0 ghz black Macbook from Amazon.com right after the new ones were released for only $1099. And here I am STILL waiting for it to be shipped. Talk about torture!

9. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

here's some dirt cheap ram for you when you feel like upgrading...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231069

10. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

11. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

I ordered mine on Tuesday and it came yesterday but I wasn't home, so I'm going to pick it up tonight. I can't WAIT :D

Congrats :).

12. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

I've been busy setting up and installing apps since yesterday, and so far I'm quite impressed. Instead of migrating my user accounts and apps from my old computer, which had in turn been migrated over several iterations of computers, I elected to start from scratch and install only what I need. I found that copying my iTunes and iPhoto libraries was as simple as copying the folders from the old hdd; you can't get any simpler than that. I have the MB on a Griffin Elevator and in a smoke techshell case (it looks stunning) operating in clamshell mode. Does anybody think that the techshell will increase the temps too high? That is one reason I got the Elevator to try and compensate for any added heat caused by the case.

EDIT: I really don't want to run any of the temp monitoring utilities out there, since I have read that at least one of them can cause the temps to increase and the fans to malfunction.

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If you are going to sell your G5, you should do it sharpish before Apple introduce new iMacs and the price of current refurbs drops thus sending the price of G5's down further.

14. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Thanks, but I don't know yet if I'll sell it. I bought it for my son when he is home from college, and brings home his external hdd (so he doesn't have to bring his 20" iMac with him). I can also use it as a backup in case I ever need it. At least I bought it as a refurb, so I don't have all that much invested in it.

15. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

16. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Got mine last night and I've been playing ever since. It's pretty much the same speed as my iMac but much faster than my iBook. I can't wait to put it to use. Also just picked up 2 GB of RAM to install. :)

Enjoy yours bro :)

17. danny_w thread starter macrumors 601

Congrats and enjoy! And update your signature.