My black screen is white!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Patrick J, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

I have a problem with my screen - when there is something black on, I can see a faint mark of a lighter colour. I have tried to take a picture, please excuse the poor quality.

There is nothing visible when the screen is off, even under close examination.

Is it less visible when lighter things are on the screen, and invisible when the screen is white.

No drops or liquid spills.

Will this go away on it's own? Any fixes?

Attached Files:

2. tpg macrumors regular

I know you say there aren't any drops or spills - but could it be a thin grease mark? If you've got any alcohol-based screen wipes around, they work wonders with stains like that.

If that isn't the issue, has this problem only just appeared, or have you had it since you bought the computer?

3. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Thank you for your reply.

I have the screen fully cleaned. Whatever it is, it is definitely on the inside.

It only appeared a week ago, but I left it a few days to see if it would go away. My Macbook Pro is almost 1 year old, so I might try and bring it to the Apple Authorised Store in my area to see if they can fix it under guaranty.

I'm worried, though, that they will just put it down as pressure damage, which it definitely isn't, as the laptop hasn't left my desk in over 2 months.

4. ljx718 macrumors 6502

youre gonna get a bit of that but thats excessive

5. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

The damage?

6. tpg macrumors regular

It almost looks like condensation, but that'd only be possible if water vapour somehow managed to get into the screen assembly. Even then, I thought there should be a good seal in between the front panel of the display and the lcd.

I think taking it in is your best bet.

7. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

It has been like that for almost 2 weeks now.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Where is that on the screen (what part of the display)?

It looks like pressure damage to me… [what happens when you push the LCD and it does the swirls]

9. Timur macrumors 6502a

Timur

Search for "mura", but yes your case looks more like some pressure point with that very specific shape.

10. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

The mura is right in the middle of the screen.

I agree that it looks like pressure damage, but like I said, the machine hasn't actually moved apart from being opened/closed for over 2 months.