My Blog Design to Wordpress - Need Help..

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Yamcha, May 7, 2010.

1. Yamcha macrumors 68000

Hello Guys!

I'm a designer but I have very little experience with xhtml/css or wordpress. I designed a blog yesterday and would like to get it coded to wordpress.. Anyone know where I can begin? I honestly need this up in a week if possible.. I know the basic html tags but I have no idea how to put it together I only know the designing aspect & the slicing..

If you could link me to tutorials that would be great..

Your help is greatly appreciated :]

Thanks

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

3. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Hi Yamcha :)

I've not read it yet, but SitePoint published something today that sounds just right for you:

Create Your Own WordPress Theme from an HTML Template

Nice looking theme by the way!

But if you're not actually able to code a page, but can pull it apart and change it a little, you're probably best searching around for a theme which you can reasonably adapt to fit your design.

-EDIT-
    And/Or you can check out these:

Another tutorial part 1 & part 2

OR

http://www.divine-project.com/ - Convert PSD to WordPress

And, why not, the results page from google...

Let us know how you get on!

/Doug

4. Yamcha thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks alot guys :], will give the divine thing a go

5. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I would like to add that you should probably be a little scepticsl of the quality of code that this sort if thing will spew out. I've not looked at any examples, but just saying :)

/Doug

6. Yamcha thread starter macrumors 68000

Ah,

Looks like Divine wont work for me.. since its for Windows platform.. I'm on a Mac..

7. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I recently went down a similar path. Had no real experience with HTML, CSS or PHP. I do program a bit, so the coding part wasn't too foreign.

Anyhow, I followed this tutorial :

http://www.wpdesigner.com/2007/02/19/so-you-want-to-create-wordpress-themes-huh/

It show you step by step how to make a really simple design. The final version of the theme you will make surely isn't pretty but it will teach you how to do everything and make it pretty later on.

You'll also need this http://codex.wordpress.org/Installing_WordPress_Locally_on_Your_Mac_With_MAMP to install wordpress on your computer instead of the first link in the tutorial saying how to install in on windows xp. The rest should be okay, except a few difference in the url of your blog but they should be pretty straightforward to fix from the tutorial.