My bold prediction of the next iMac.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by aprofetto8, Dec 17, 2010.

1. aprofetto8 macrumors regular

First off, sorry if this has been done before, I searched and only found bits and pieces. This is my official prediction for the next iMac, bold as it may be, I really think this could happen.

Okay, so some of the rumours have been suggesting new iMac panel sizes, a 2011 release, etc.

Last iMac refresh was last summer. I think the new iMacs will be released this summer, alongside Mac OS X Lion (this has been speculated before).

Now, lets jump back to Job's last keynote, where we got the sneak peak of Lion.

First, Launchpad:
    [​IMG]

When I first saw Launchpad, I said to myself, hmm, that looks exactly how my Applications folders looks when I open it in grid view from the dock, but it has a much more iOS feel to it.

Next, Mission Control:
    [​IMG]
    Mission Control seems pretty self explanatory, its a place to see all the apps you have going.

Next, Full Screen Apps:
    [​IMG]
    When I first opened iPhoto and went into full screen mode, I couldn't help but notice it felt designed for some sort of touch based input.

Combine these all, with the ability to flip through apps (side to side) as demoed in the keynote, and you cannot help but feel OS X Lion has a nice chunk of iOS influence (as Jobs also pointed out, ie. Back to the Mac).

Now, let me paint a picture for you, you're typing an email on your iMac, you then want to do some work in iPhoto, imagine being able to touch Launchpad in the dock, and suddenly its like you're navigating your way through an iOS device.

You click iPhoto with your finger, and it opens full screen, now in this 'touch mode', you can swipe side to side to switch between full screen apps, or you can open Mission Control to see what else is open.

But the question is, Jobs said a vertical touch screen will cause your arm to fall off, but what about a design like this as revealed by one of Apples patents:

[​IMG]

Imagine this, after typing the email, you fold down your iMac, and use Launchpad, everything afterwards seems so touch intuitive.

I believe the Mac App store will bring alot more full screen touch based apps, designed for touch input.

Combine this with the rumours of new screen sizes, and it all just seems to fit together.

What do you guys think? I don't expect everyone to agree, it is purely my prediction, and not fact.

2. Btom macrumors 6502a

I hope they'll solve the yellow tinge, display hissing and HD clicking as well.

Tom B.

3. mstrze macrumors 68000

I think a shifting-screen like that would be too much for a desktop device. the wear and tear on shifting the screen, not to mention the annoyance of having to shift it to make touch inputs, would probably be way too much to take. Remember, Apple is all about fantastic user experiences and the hassle of this would not work toward that goal I think.

I do think that a laptop touch screen is just around the corner...perhaps a new MacBook/iPad combo with essentially a foldable screen...two touch-enabled displays, one in the usual location, the other in the keyboard's location? This would allow a customizable keyboard that changes with whatever app you are using (quickeys for various actions will change and be highlighted in every app)

I guess maybe the new iMac change would be this virtual keyboard..even for a desktop system. I think this is more likely than a collapsible monitor/touch input device....too awkward, too much wear and tear and probably not friendly with many system setups/desks where moving the monitor liek this would not even be possible.

4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

We shall see.

5. mad-jamie16 macrumors regular

IMO, I don't think we'll see a touch screen iMac for a while. Apple have said that it's not ergonomic having a touch screen facing you, and the idea of adjusting it so it's below you is not either as Apple have also said that it's not good for your neck looking down like that. It would be a really cool idea if Apple worked out how to do it while keeping ergonomics and user interaction smooth.

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Nope. No touch screen Mac until at least Mac OS XI.

7. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not gonna happen.

8. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

I think
    Flash storage for OS and apps
    No cd rom
    Tighter form factor
    A keyboard with multi touch
    Light peak
    And
    A much cheaper price

9. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Not sure about the cheaper price point, flash is still a rising technology and light peak hasn't even been formally introduced to consumers, but I agree that flash storage, lack of optical drive, and a continued evolution in minimal design are much more practical and logical directions for Apple than a touch screen interface at the moment.

10. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

I think apple would like to "reinvent" the PC "again" and add touch to a display.
    I think adding the ability to put it in an angled "touch mode" would add great value. And would continue to segregate their platform. Apple is all about touch right now, it's their thing. It exists in their insanely great products..
    I think now is the time

11. blahblah100 macrumors 6502

there have been multi-touch monitors for quite some time now... You can even order it as an option for Dell and Lenovo laptops.

12. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

Ya but they suck..

13. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Not so bold of a prediction.

Touch will inevitable come to the mac. That's why they started putting that annoying glass over the iMac's screen in the first place.

14. blahblah100 macrumors 6502

My guess would be that you have not actually used one. It's a growing trend on these forums, people making statements about product quality/features when they have never even touched the product.

I have used one, extensively, and I can tell you they actually work quite well for *most* things.

15. Uhu macrumors member

I cannot believe bending a 27" iMac into a proclaimed touch-mode is anywhere near ergonomic

16. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

Your guess would be wrong
    "my guess would be that" its Best to get your facts straight before you rant

17. aprofetto8 thread starter macrumors regular

I understand there is existing touch screen computers already.

The the OS they run (Windows 7) is not nearly as touch efficient as Lion can be.

I just think, with some much iOS going into OS X Lion, it would be silly not to include touch on at least one of their computers.

I think now would be the perfect time to strike, no point waiting until OS XI, really what would be the point?

The only thing really stopping all of this is how the touch interaction would happen, computers all have vertical screens, the only way to really help that is to allow some sort of folding mechanism.

18. carlgo macrumors 68000

Don't understand the allure of touch screens and don't like to clean them all the time either.

19. xpipe macrumors regular

People in the computer room in my department seem to think the iMacs already are touch screen for some reason...

20. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

I think that your touch interface idea might come to fruition on a powerful, iMac type device that is fairly small.

I do not think that we are ready for a 27" iMac with a touch screen. To be honest, it sounds damned inconvenient.

On the other hand, a smaller screen that is safe to view closely for long periods, with an inclined view on your desktop, might very well work out for people who do not have to do a lot of typing.

Having a touch screen with an add-on Bluetooth keyboard? I don't know. That'll add $50-$75 to the price, and seems kind of contradictory...sort of like those Bluetooth keyboards that some people use on their iPads. Adds a lot of bulk and fuss, more batteries to charge, and doesn't seem to add a lot to the general operability.

You aren't going to want a touch screen at eye level. It'd have to be something like...well, if you can imagine the iPad in a Zoogue case set in landscape mode and inclined on the desktop for typing. That kind of thing, but maybe 15" or 17" screen. I can see how that might work.

They'd have to be careful with the design, because the risk of damage from spills, drops and accidents will be high. And I imagine that they'd have to somehow be a generation ahead with the on-screen keyboard.

Maybe some kind of soft overlay on the screen that has a kind of raised surface for easy of typing when the keyboard is activated? But that doesn't visually affect the view, or operability of the screen when the keyboard is not active? I guess this overlay could also be a part of the anti-glare feature.

21. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

I have a 27" iMac with a Magic Trackpad, and it's not very often that I have to use the Magic Mouse. It's mostly either the Magic Trackpad or the keyboard...mouse is waaaay off to the side for more involved cuts/pastes and that kind of thing.

In a way, this is the best of both worlds. A huge, high resolution screen that can use the multi-touch interface of OSX at the natural level of your hand. Or, hell, you can even lean back in the chair with the Magic Trackpad and it still works just great.

22. AnimaLeo macrumors 6502

A touch screen iMac doesn't make any sense to me. It's way easier to use a mouse than to touch a screen aha. Also, for people that do extensive photography, film production etc etc it would just be annoying at Hell.

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

How would you keep a 27" touchscreen clean?
    Just because Apple patents something doesn't mean they are going to make a product from it any time soon. I can't picture a touch screen iMac until 2012.

24. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The touch screen thing will require a whole new OS X. And this new OS X is not ready yet, when iOS matures some more we will eventually see OS X and iOS blend together and thus we'll finally get touch Macs. But the public is still learning to use iOS and touch devices.

The public has to accept touch devices and we are slowly becoming familiar with them. Not to mention Apple is seeing what works and what doesn't with touch OS's.

Give it time, the line will soon blur between OS X and iOS. I think the touch hardware is the easy part, its the OS that controls a touch Mac that is the real problem.

25. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

It won't require OSX at all. It will have to debut in the entirely next generation of Mac OS: OSXI.

Folks, Lion is the last, biggest cat of the big cat family, hence it's very safe bet to assume this is the last iteration of OSX. I know there are more variations of leopards but we would have seen them by now before being introduced to Lion so I'm pretty certain Apple is skipping those and Lion will mark the exit of OSX.

Touch, if at all, will come in OSXI.