MY Book for Dummies

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by karenw56, Feb 5, 2009.

1. karenw56 macrumors newbie

I purchased a My Book external hard drive (Studio Edition). It's loaded onto my iBookG4 - now how do I use it. Let's say I just added a few pictures to iPhoto - what do I do to save them? AND can I keep it plugged in all the time to my laptop?

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well first off your new MyBook most likely came to your formatted for PC use, and formatting for Mac use will increase the flexibility of things you can use it for so it is a good idea to do that before starting to store data on it. I say that because formatting it will erase any data on it.

To check the current format of the drive, simply click its icon on the desktop one time to select it, then pull down the "File" menu and select "Get Info". In the window that appears, look for the "Format" field. If it reads (as I suspect) "FAT32" or "NTFS" it is formatted for PC. If by chance it reads "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" then it has already been prepared for Mac use.

Before we can tell you where to go from there, we need to know what version of the Operating System you are using (check "About this Mac" under the Apple menu at the top left of your screen) and what version of iPhoto you are using ("About iPhoto" from the menus when iPhoto is running).

When we know that, we can give you a simple method of formatting the drive and establishing the correct type of partition map for your drive to truly make it fully Mac compatible.

BTW- Yes, you can keep it connected with no downside other than perhaps winding up with data on the external drive that would be unavailable when you were traveling with the laptop without the external drive with you.