My Book Mac Edition - taking out the HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacAndy74, May 17, 2009.

1. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Here's the rundown.

I have a My Book Mac Edition 1TB external hard disk: http://bit.ly/mybookmac

What I was thinking about doing is disassembling the external case of the 'My Book' and using the hard disk in a mac pro that I'm planning on purchasing reasonably soon.

What I don't know is if it's a good idea. Or if the hard disk inside the 'My Book' is attached differently to the internal interface and if it can be used as a standard hard disk :confused:

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I've done this with a couple of MyBook's, it's sometimes cheaper to get a MyBook than a plain drive of the same capacity. They're a bit of a fiddle to dismantle, but it's possible to do it. The drive that's inside is a bog standard SATA drive so it will fit your Mac Pro just fine.

3. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

Good news then :D

Seems that the WDC inside is a 10EAVS: http://bit.ly/10EAVS
    Should do just fine. Makes me wonder, what HDD's do Apple use in Mac Pro's?

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I think it varies based on what is cheapest at the time, even between machines of the same model. If you Google the model number and "hard drive", you should find discussions of the brands that one usually finds inside, but recently I think they've been using Western Digital and Seagate. I've seen Hitachi and Samsung drives in older Macs.

5. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm hoping for Western Digital. Have always used WD drives in the past and I've never had reason to complain.

Also, I did find the difference between the linked WD drive and my exact model - My Book has the WD HDD with 8MB Cache and not 16MB cache. Good enough to run Windows in Boot Camp I think.

I assume I can run a Boot Camp Windows install on a second HDD in a Mac Pro?

6. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

I had 2 hard drives: 1 x 320GB firewire 800 and 1 x 1TB USB. This didn’t make sense to me having the bigger drive on the slower interface. So i swapped them! It will void the warranty but only on the enclosure - the HDD will be covered under separate warranty. All worked perfectly. Just make sure that it's a SATA drive you put into your pro, which if it's a 1TB drive it will be :)

7. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

That's actually a relief :) So a full 3 years I hope?