my book studio doesn't show on desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by katties, Mar 20, 2011.

1. katties macrumors newbie

I have 2T WD external drive. I plugged it in today after a two week break, and my Mac does not display it on the desktop, therefore, does not seem to see it. The drive is plugged in, though, seems to be working; I tried firewire and usb.
    The updater from http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=121&lang=en also doesn't see it, neither with firewire nor usb.
    It's like the drive is unmounted, can anyone help please?..

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Does it show up in the System Profiler or in Disk Utility? Have you tried restarting the computer and disconnecting the power to the drive, then powering it back on?

TEG

3. katties thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I tried everything, Disk Utility doesn't see it.

4. katties thread starter macrumors newbie

I also tried to download the smartware, but it looks like it's under' Studio IV Firmware updater' only, and abyway, it also says ' No WD Studio IV devices detected on the USB interface. Please connect.(...)'

5. katties thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I have also tried restarting the computer. I don't think it's my Mac, because it shows another external drive, which is Seagate in this case. The troubleshooting seems to be related only to the WD.

6. katties thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok maybe someone could have any other comments, however, I found a whole thread 'External drive disappeared!' on http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1223566&start=30&tstart=0
    However, in my case it is likely to be applied only to WD. One of its partition I also used for backup.
    At the moment I go for the non-destructive ways of fixing, like unplugging, rebooting etc. I will try to search for solution a bit more, but it looks like I need to contact Western Digital in the end.

7. simsaladimbamba

An SMC reset is not just a restart. It helped me with some flunky external HDDs. If you have already tried that and it didn't work, then *****.

8. katties thread starter macrumors newbie

Right then. What I meant, with all respect, is that System Management Control works fine on my computer, as I can assume from the fact that the other external drive works well and there are no other symptoms suggesting failure of the SMC. And I ALSO restarted the computer.

Actually, now I can see my disc again - and it is after connecting it temporarily to Windows based comp. That was it, only connecting.

Thank you for your help and sorry for the misunderstanding.