My Book Studio Edition help!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by WilliamG, Mar 29, 2008.

1. WilliamG macrumors G3

I just picked up the 750GB My Book Studio, and have it hooked up to my MacBook Pro via Firewire 800. I've noticed that the drive goes to sleep after about 10 minutes of inactivity, BUT then it wakes up maybe 20 or 30 minutes later, completely randomly. I was wondering if anyone had the same experience as me.

So, as follows: mine wakes up, then goes back to sleep about 10 minutes later, wakes up about half an hour later etc etc etc. The new Leopard firmware doesn't seem to have fixed this, though I applied the firmware out of the box. I'm NOT accessing the drive for it to wake up - for example it just woke up as I'm typing this message, and Time Machine isn't running.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

William

2. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Anyone got any advice about this? It's doing the same thing with my new 2TB Studio drives... With the latest Drive Manager software.

Any ideas? Kind of desperate here. Don't want my drives spinning up and down the whole darn time... I want them to sleep and STAY asleep until I access them! :(

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

My 750GB unit does seem to go to sleep, but since I use it as "offline storage" (it holds data I only occasionally need access to) it doesn't really bother me. I click on the icon in the desktop and within a few seconds it spins up and is ready.

My Time Machine drive (a 500GB Maxtor) is connected to the MyBook, so that might help keep it awake since TM kicks off a job every hour.

4. WilliamG thread starter macrumors G3

Thanks for the reply CWallace. I guess I'll be the only one with troubles. Ah well...

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

my seagate 120Gb hard drive which i use for offline storage as CWallace mentioned does go to sleep after awhile.. although it will start up and runnings once i click on the icon... i think this is normal. not sure tho..

6. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I do not know if un-checking the "Put hard drives to sleep when possible" option in Energy Saver affects external drives, or just the ones internal to the machine...

7. gwerhart0800 macrumors 6502

Spotlight is probably indexing the drive

System Preferences->Spotlight->Privacy

Add your external drive to the list under privacy and Spotlight will stop trying to index the drive periodically. This might stop the periodic spin ups.