My Book Studio Edition II + LION working?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Nruub, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Nruub macrumors newbie

Hi all!

I'm about to buy some Raid storage and have been thinking of the WD My Book Studio Edition II.

However, there seems to be a lot of confusion and non-information from WD side about this drive and LION. Some of the firmware looks seems to have been updated, but I cannot find any positive feedback from users.

Can anyone confirm that the WD My Book Studio Edition II works with LION?

Thanks!

2. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Om pretty sure it does. I have bothe Leopard and Lion on my MP so I will double check now to see that I have used it under Lion as well

3. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Just checked The disk works fine under Lion. Go ahead and get it

4. Nruub thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks yoak!

There have been reports of the drive disconnecting and connection, and of the WD software not working in Lion.

Can I ask, did you upgrade this software? and is it need to have it running in the bg for the disks to function?

Thanks again!

5. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I find that software very annoying and always quit it when it starts up. I haven´t had any problems with the disk disconnecting so far. I have about 800GB of HD footage from different cameras there. No issues so far.
    The disk was used to move 300GB of footage between myself, the editors, then the soundmixers with out problems. The other systems were Snow Leopard though

6. norcalmacwatchr macrumors newbie

Do Not Buy WD Studio Book II

This has the worst track record in the history of WD. I wish I could have found the string of bad reviews on this one site before I bought. I am having the same nightmare as them. I am in the extremely slow process of recovering file from this drive. It freezes, heats up, shuts down, locks up, wont mount should I go on.

It is a piece of crap. If i only knew ahead of time. WD paints a a nice advertising picture. WD says they are aware of the issue and it will be re addressed in the next version. Till then you just have to get an RMA or full refund.

PLEASE search hard for WD problems on this drive on the net. You will find them. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Honestly this is why to stay away from WD drives. They have our highest fail rate of any external we have at work (I have an office full of dead ones, many of the drives are OK, but its the enclosures that go and the drives inside are horrendous to try and get out).

There should never be a problem with an external drive working on a computer, it should be plug and play. My OWC enclosures and Icydock enclosures do just that. Shame on Western Digital for complicating their stuff.

8. Nruub thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone!
    So - already on this thread alone there is a lot of differing opinions.
    On top of the - very confusing - support on the WD forums, these are not good indicators for buying a reliable external drive.

Think I will reconsider my strategy. Wish we had OWC products in Europe!