My Book Studio HD issues still?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jshwon, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Jshwon macrumors 6502

Jshwon

Are people still having issues with this drive? I am considering picking up a 1TB but looking at some of the old threads here I'm a little hesitant. I was wondering if there are still issues with this drive (mounting, noise, etc) and if so what would be some good alternatives.

2. Vaphoron macrumors 6502

Vaphoron

I bought two a few months back and they sucked. After a few hours they disconnected from the computer even while data was being copied. I was testing them out to see if they worked right like I do with any new HD I get and they just simply failed to be reliable. I found new firmware on the WD site that was supposed to help and it did somewhat because I couldn't even get them to mount using FW800 until that update but they would still disappear after a couple hours. Tried for a whole month to get them to work because I got a good deal on them and I really liked the way they looked but they just didn't work.

3. Jshwon thread starter macrumors 6502

Jshwon

Thanks for the update. Looks like I may go the 500G Time Capsule with a smaller hd attached for a bootable back up.

4. cdembek macrumors regular

I just started using the My Book Studio II, have not had an issue. However I am disappointed that I can't connect the unit to the MY Book World Edition via usb, didn't learn about this until the drive arrived.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Alot of people who subscribed to me on youtube use the My Book series by WD> no problems. I think you guys just had the defected units.

6. gusious macrumors 65816

gusious

So it's "safe" buying one?Cause i'm thinking about buying one soon...:rolleyes:

7. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

I have had a Studio II 750GB for months connected via FW800 and it has been perfect. Mine is connected to a MBP so it is constantly being put to sleep and woken up with the machine and it has never hiccuped.