My boot camp assistant cant create a new partition!!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by alam, Jun 2, 2008.

1. alam macrumors regular

alam

hello every one :)
    i having some problems with my boot camp :mad:, every time i create a partition... it stops and tells me this error:-

"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files can't be moved.
    Back up the disk and use disk utility to formate it as a single MAC OS (Journaled) volume.
    Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."

and by the way :p, my mac os drive formate is MAC OS (Journaled) :confused:, and please guy's can any one tell me a way to solve this issue with out the Restoring & Backup thing :(.

2. MM07 macrumors 6502a

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

As far as I am aware the only way to get around this apart from erasing and cloning back again is to use a third party tool such as drive genius to de-fragment your drive. However this is a risky process so you will want a backup anyway.

That said the last time I had to deal with this issue was a long time ago so perhaps something has changed since.

4. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

well i remember using the clone program to up size my windows partition :p
    but does this harm my boot camp??

5. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

well i'm updating now to 2.0 to 2.1
    i hope that it well work :eek:

6. ruskiwi macrumors member

Boot Camp Assistant and the Boot Camp update are two different things. The first is for making a Windows partition while running the Mac OS; the second is for updating the drivers for Windows while running Windows.

To get around Boot Camp partitioning problems, see this thread.

7. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

i'm having this problem too, and if i use time machine to back my stuff up, i can format my hd, and then go back to the way it was, partition, etc right?

8. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

well i guess that there is no any choice to do, so i'm gonna backup my drive then formate :(
    thanke you every body :)

9. bookkrazer macrumors newbie

Use disk utility from your application folder, it's in a folder called utilities.

Just erase the unwanted disk

google more info on disk utility

10. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

but my main question is, if i use time machine, can i restore my comp to the way it was after i reformat?

11. alam thread starter macrumors regular

alam

well i tried it in few days but it still didn't work :rolleyes:
    tnx

12. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Hey, hope this isn't too late, but I just fixed this problem with my comp yesterday.

Apparently after too much use/removing a partition data is fragmented on the drive, preventing BootCamp assistant from working.

I had to use the Leopard install disk to restore from a time machine backup, then ran boot camp assistant with no prob to restore the partition. Then it was a simple matter to use winclone to restore my saved partition..