My bootcamp nightmare - A guide

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by timecarter, Dec 15, 2009.

1. timecarter macrumors newbie

Last night I was about as frustrated as I will ever be using a Mac. I bought parallels 5 and Windows 7 mainly for Quicken and Word Processing. I still wanted to install through a bootcamp partition so I could run games in a native Windows environment.....

..... I thought it would be easy. I had to do quite a bit of searching on the forums and eventually found all the solutions. I want to share and aid anyone with the same headaches.

Problem:

1. Blinking cursor in top left corner after partitioning hard drive through boot camp assisstant.

I partitioned my drive to 100 GB, inserted my Windows 7 DVD, and restarted my computer..... It didn't work.

Instead of booting into Mac OSX I got a blinking cursor in the top left corner of the screen.... I waited and waited and waited.... nothing happened.

I restarted and held down control to boot into my OS X partition. I searched and searched for an answer but couldn't find one that work... some suggested to simply unplug the machine for 30 sec's to reset something.... This didn't work. I was about to give up when I discovered the

Solution:

Boot Camp Assistant formats the drive to FAT32... What the assistant did not tell me (was I supposed to already know?!?) is that this partition needs to be smaller then 32 gigabytes... So i reformatted the drive to 32, restarted with the CD in and VOILA... the installer booted.

Problem:

2. Finally installs but the mouse doesn't work! Now I'm stuck.

I got this bad boy installed only to find that my bluetooth mouse didn't work. I cursed the thing and restarted a few times. No luck. I was about to give up completely when I realized that the drivers needed to be installed... I put in my OSX CD and waited for autoplay... Instead of the boot camp install I got some BS about the macbook air.... which I don't have.

I was just going to wait until the next day to get a windows mouse from work when my buddy offered this

Solution:

USE THE KEYBOARD! It was archaic but I navigated to the computer section, explored the OS CD, and managed to install the drivers and restart the computer.

Problem:

3. After installing the drivers I got that blinking cursor again!

At this point I was pissed. I mean really pissed. I turned off my computer, rebooted into OS, and searched for a solution. I could not find one. So I reformatted, reinstalled, restarted, and got that damn blinking cursor again!!!! I restarted back into OS, and repeated... third time was the charm.

Well... maybe... I installed the drivers, restarted, and got that cursor again. I was pissed and tired of hearing that restart chime when I stumbled upon this

Solution:

I got a beer. Instead of restarting the computer after waiting for 30 seconds I went down stairs and cracked a cold one. It tasted really really good and I enjoyed it for about five minutes. I went back upstairs and VOILA, Windows 7 had loaded!

It turns out, as my wife explained at least, that I am not a very patient person.

After this I have had no problems at all. I installed the partition into the parallels VM and am good to go! It only took five hours!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

:p

This is the only bit that need a bit of clarification.

Note: The only 32 GB limit on FAT32 is in partitions created by Windows. They have an artificial limit to wean people off of FAT32.

Usually how it works is that Mac OS creates a large FAT32 partition that gets replaced with a large NTFS partition during install. The large FAT32 partition is there as a placeholder for Windows. Basically telling it "here dummy!".

Are you actually running Win7 on this 32 GB FAT32 partition? There really is no need for FAT32 in this day and age. With Boot Camp 3.0 you can read the other drive just fine within Boot Camp, and from within Parallels/Fusion you gain access to everything.

B

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

OP, you should have READ and PRINTED the Apple directions.

Don't do FAT, it causes problems. Reformat the partition as NTFS as reinstall.

4. timecarter thread starter macrumors newbie

Windows 7 would not allow me to install into a FAT32 partition, I had to reformat to NTFS through the windows installer.

Instructions?!

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just let it reformat! It doesn't need to be < 32 GB. The placeholder FAT32 partition is replaced with an NTFS partition of the same size.

You WANT NTFS.

B

6. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

One of the problems it sounds like is that you're trying to boot off of the partition right after you created it in Bootcamp. It should boot off of the windows CD. Yes, there are no Bluetooth drivers at install time (at least not that I recall), this is a Microsoft installer, their problem, not Apples. You can then reformat the partition during installation to NTFS (which you should do) and then continue with the install. I typically use the keyboard during installation, but a USB mouse is very helpful.

As for Bootcamp instructions, when you run the Bootcamp assistant, on the very first screen there is a button that says, "Print installation and Setup instructions" Click it.

It's not hard to install or setup, just takes time and patience.

7. timecarter thread starter macrumors newbie

When I formatted the drive to Fat32 the disk would not boot from the CD until I lowered the partition to less then 32 GB.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sounds like you missed the "press any key to boot from CD" prompt.

B

9. darkus macrumors regular

Lol just following the instructions and you wont run into any of these problems