My boss bought me an iMac for Christmas!!!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mac mac mac, Dec 14, 2011.

1. mac mac mac macrumors regular

I have such an awesome boss. He gave me the go ahead to order the 27" iMac from B&H for $2,249 with i7 3.4 Ghz processor, 4GB of ram, 1TB HD, and 2GB of video ram. It's $50 less than Apple and NO TAX! I also purchased Apple Care for only $60 and got Parallels 7 for free. It will get here next Thursday (I live on the side of the coast so it'll take some time).

Now I just have to pick up some extra ram from Newegg. Have anyone purchased the thunderbolt to DVI connector from Monoprice? Does it work with the iMac? I have a 22" monitor and want to use it as a secondary display. I'm also debating if I should pick up the Magic Trackpad. Too bad I can't choose since I'm not getting it from Apple. I'm not a big fan of the Magic Mouse. It's too flat for me. Also, is it possible to upgrade the internal drive to SSD myself, or will the Genius Bar do it?

Anyway, I'm excited for the new machine. My early 2008 MacBook Pro is running so slow when I use Aperture along with Photoshop. Can't wait...

2. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

FREAking awesome!!!!!

3. Swift Sketcher macrumors regular

Nice!! Where do you work?

(I'd also like to know about the monoprice dvi to thunderbolt converter for connecting a cintiq, specifically)

4. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

You have a nice friendly boss, hope you enjoy your New iMac

5. mac mac mac thread starter macrumors regular

I've been working for him since I was 15 so he's treating me like his son :)

6. jertronic macrumors member

Congrats! That is some Christmas present. Definitely get the trackpad. Learn from the beginning with it and your Mac experience will be rich beyond belief.

7. Sandman1969 macrumors 6502a

Sandman1969

Congratulations! You can look at macsales.com for memory as well.

I will second getting the magic trackpad. I got one for my B-Day this weekend and I am in love with it. Wonderful interface with normal computing work. Not sure how it would be with precision apps. But nonetheless very nice!

8. concernedone macrumors regular

concernedone

Oh nice very nice! Are you getting something for him for Christmas in return?

9. heimbachae macrumors regular

heimbachae

id call him daddy fo sho

10. Akack macrumors 6502a

11. mac mac mac thread starter macrumors regular

I got him the Apple wireless keyboard for the iPad I bought him last year. He said it's hard to type on the iPad screen. I also picked up the Airport Express today because he got me the computer. That should solve the other problem that he brought up before. When he stays at a hotel that only has free wired internet and not wireless, he can't use his iPad. Hope he's going to like it :)

12. malias4 macrumors 6502a

malias4

it has nothing to do with the thread but why u guyz giving him 2 negatives post ? i really dont get it..
    he gets a new imac an he is happy thats all!

13. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

"Now I just have to pick up some extra ram from Newegg"

Just a thought, but don't rush out and buy more RAM just yet. You may find things work just fine with 4gig.

14. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

I got an amaryllis from my boss. :(

congrats on the nice machine. Macsales.com for memory, or even newegg has stuff cheaper and compatible.

15. SDColorado macrumors 65816

SDColorado

I got a stress induced headache from mine :eek:

16. Mac Eagle macrumors member

17. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

18. mac mac mac thread starter macrumors regular

I went ahead and purchased 16GB of ram from Newegg for $30 after rebates (thanks to the Google Offer deal). At first I was just going to go with 12GB, but what heck for only $15 more. I also ordered the Harman Kardon Soundsticks III. I think I'm pretty set. Anything else you guys would recommend?

19. WilliamG macrumors G3

A container to hold the drool. :)

20. Jason black macrumors regular

If you're a woman, then your boss wants to hit that. If you're a guy, then your boss is truly awesome. Unless if your boss is a woman, then hell..... You know the rest

21. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

22. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

My boss got fired and I took her place for my christmas present. :eek:

23. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Jealously, I suspect.

24. remybrooks macrumors member

Thats so cool! Have fun with it mate! (oh, and judging by you aperture-cs5 reference I'm guessing your a photographer. Get the Track-Pad AND the Mouse. Mouse for editing (trackpads suck for photo editing) Track-pad for everything else!