My Boss wants me to upload to Time Capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Dimundz, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Dimundz macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,
    I am a long time Mac user, frequent viewer of the board, and newly registered user, so thank you for taking the time to look at my question.

As I work in a small office, my Boss recently purchased a Time Capsule for the office. There are 4 of us using Macbook pros, however I am the only one using my own personal Macbook pro, not one issued for the company.

He wants us all to upload our work files to the Time Capsule tomorrow, which is fine by me, but my question is will the rest of my computer files be backed up, such as personal photos, music, emails, documents, etc?

I'm unfamiliar with backing up my Mac, and the process with a Time Capsule, but want to be certain I have the option of solely uploading my work folder, and no other folders.

Thanks in advance!

2. imahawki macrumors 6502a

No, you can access a Time Capsule as just a network file share. Unless you go into Time Machine and tell it to back up to the Time Capsule, it won't back up to it.

3. Dimundz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the reply, but he is expecting me to turn on my Time Machine and sync to the Time Capsule.

I just want to solely backup my work folder, and that be it, nothing else.

He mentioned something about every hour there will be a backup.

I'm quite confused, and in no way want to backup my whole PERSONAL macbook, as I'm sure nor does he, as it will take up space on the harddrive.

4. Apple Key macrumors 6502a

Apple Key

In system preferences you can configure the settings for Time Machine. There you can exclude certain folders. It is better to do it automatically rather than manually because of user error, forgetting to do it, and not having various versions of a file to revert to.

Unfortunately you have to exclude all of your personal or unnecessary folders, rather than choosing a single one to include.

5. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

The OP can simply connect to Time Capsule and drag the work folder onto its hard drive, no need to use Time Machine to backup your entire computer or even the work file, just drag and drop whatever files/folders need to be on it.

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Well you should be :eek:

As said above you can turn on TM and specify which folder you want backed up (by removing everything and then adding back your work folder) , (the option by Zwhaler above would be a single one off backup and would not back it up every hour), but you really should arrange something for your personal stuff or one day, you will lose it all.

7. simsaladimbamba

As far as I have used TM, and as noted by Apple Key, you EXCLUDE folders you don't want to back up. If it would be the other way around, TM would be much easier for the advanced users, who don't need to back up every ****.

8. imahawki macrumors 6502a

No, it sounds like the boss wants everyone to use the same process. The post above yours is a good option, just uncheck EVERYTHING except the work folder.

@OP Why are you the only one using a personal computer?

9. simsaladimbamba

We all use PCs, as Macs are personal computers too. Or are you alluding to the OP using Windows, as s/he hasn't mentioned such a thing yet? Or is it the "PERSONAL MacBook" part you refer to?

10. imahawki macrumors 6502a

The last one. He says he's the only one using his PERSONAL computer... I just wondered why.

11. Dimundz thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using my own Macbook Pro, as it was a start up company when I first began the role with the organization. As new employees were brought in, Macbook Pro's were purchased for them to use, however I've been still stuck using my own Macbook Pro day in day out, which obvious takes a toll on it's lifespan, daily battery use, etc.

I think I'm just going to burn my work folder to DVD, give it to my boss so he has it, and can back it up himself.

Next option will be to do as stated, and uncheck all the folders, except my work folder.

Realistically, time has gone by, and I should just request to have a work Macbook Pro purchased for me, however times are tight financially, and it isn't exactly within our budget.

12. World Citizen macrumors regular

If they buy a new macbook (in holland company's don't pay tax) and sell it to you... And you sell your old macbook to the company.. so essentially they buy a second hand laptop... It will cost less... It was good enough before....

13. shwc, Jan 16, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012

shwc macrumors regular

use carbon copy cloner

Do not use time machine. Instead use another program that is better suited to the task you are describing. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup an individual folder(s) and schedule and automatic backup time. Synk pro is another program that will do what you want. Other similar programs exist, these two are simply the two that I personally have used before.

14. Cubytus macrumors 65816

Time Machine is really fine, as there's no user-friendly interface to restoring archived files from Carbon Copy Cloner.

15. shwc macrumors regular

Time machine is great, I use it myself, but time machine is ill suited to what the OP wants to do (backup just his/her work folder to his boss's back up drive). Time machine is set up to backup the entire computer (although one can exclude certain folders). The OP needs to go the other direction, at least at work.

At home, the OP should obtain an external drive and use time machine to back up his entire computer, perhaps minus the work folder (if his boss wishes it).

At work, the OP should use an "older style" synching program to synch his work related folder (i.e., the one on his own computer) to a copy of that same work folder to be located on his boss's backup drive. IMHO.

16. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Start by just excluding everything which wont be that many folders, maybe half a dozen at the top level if you organise it simply?
    Then add in your single folder.
    As long as "single folder" is not within an excluded folder that will work.

17. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Take your MBP home and tell your Boss that your wife needs it ... your Boss will replace the MBP ... you may find times are not as tight as you believe them to be.