My bother just got January update for free!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by blueharvester, Jan 22, 2008.

1. blueharvester macrumors regular

My brother and I share the same iTunes library which is on my computer and we both have an iPod touch. We sync both iPods using separate playlists. Last week we both updated our touches to the 1.1.3 firmware but we chose not to buy the January Upgrade.

However, on Sunday I decided to take the plunge and I purchased the January Upgrade for £12.99. I was charged immediately for it.

Then tonight the strangest thing happened. My bro plugged in his iPod into my computer with the intention of buying the January Upgrade. So when it was plugged in, he clicked the "Update" button on the iPod Summary screen in iTunes and the version on screen changed from "1.1.3" to "1.1.3 (with Software Upgrade)". It didn't even give him the option to buy the January update!

Has this happened to anyone else?

2. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

3. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

I know you can play purchased music on up to 5 ipods but I didn't think the january upgrade would apply too.

4. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Games you can put on as many as you want. I would figure they would do it the same way.

5. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

6. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

Oh don't worry, I'll get it off him!! ;)

7. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

So what will happen if he chooses to sync his iPod with another library? Will he then have to buy the update?

8. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Seems like once the software is unlocked on the iPod it's not going to come off, but that's just a guess.

9. Dikkers macrumors member

Nah, i bought apps from work mac, synced to install them, then resynced to my home PC, and didn't wipe the apps or anything.

bit concerned about if i ever have to reset the ipod that i wont be able to d/l the aps again from home though.

10. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Just copy your app package file to your home computer and you'll be all set.

~/Library/iTunes/Mobile Applications/iPod touch App Pack 4A93.ipa

It should work fine. Also, even if you restore your iPod, the next time you sync it will unlock those Apps again.

11. blueharvester thread starter macrumors regular

So, could a friend sync his iPod touch with my library, install the apps for free, then re-sync with his own library and still have the apps installed?

12. Dikkers macrumors member

and that'll work cross platform? (work is mac, home is PC)

13. Mercod macrumors newbie

Same thing happened to me - I was prepared to pay twice - but 2 upgrades for the price of 1! :D

14. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Sounds like you need a mac at home ;)

15. atsushioka13 macrumors newbie

Yes, im curious as to if this would work. I have a friend that has bought the January update. How can I get it off of him for free?