My brand new Jet Black iPhone 7 rattles when I shake it

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
So I just got a brand new Jet Black iPhone 7 and if I tap it near the earpiece or shake the phone in my hand it makes a rattling sound.

I don't recall ever experiencing this with previous iPhone but I thought I'd check here first and make sure I'm not crazy.

So does your iPhone 7 rattle when you shake it, or when you tap near the earpiece speaker? What could it be? Should I take it to the Apple Store or is this normal? Do you think they'll replace it?

andreyush

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2015
It's the camera that rattles. My SE does the same. I went in a iStyle store and I shaked every iPhone xD. All rattle because of the lens of the camera. It's something related to the auto-focus. Some phone rattle quieter some phones rattle louder. It's frustrating me too when I put my SE down on the table and it sounds like a toy with something broken inside.

Stay calm it's normal :p but annoying...and kinda stupid...they could have done something better than that.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
It is so you can take amazing photos and video while running. It is the new image stabilization.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
So I just got a brand new Jet Black iPhone 7 and if I tap it near the earpiece or shake the phone in my hand it makes a rattling sound.

I don't recall ever experiencing this with previous iPhone but I thought I'd check here first and make sure I'm not crazy.

So does your iPhone 7 rattle when you shake it, or when you tap near the earpiece speaker? What could it be? Should I take it to the Apple Store or is this normal? Do you think they'll replace it?
My head rattles when I shake it.

My wife says it's all the rocks in there. :D

tcannizz

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2016
My 7 plus doesn't make a rattling noise at all when I shake it. My SE I had did however..

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA

Does your manbook pro rattle
[doublepost=1476421571][/doublepost]Does it rattle like this
this is my MacBook Pro

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA

This is normal
[doublepost=1476574158][/doublepost]
Zero rattle Iphone 7. Zero rattle 5 Iphone 6s's. Zero rattle 1 Iphone 5s.
This is optical image stabilizer that's why it makes that noise
[doublepost=1476574212][/doublepost]
OIS. Normal. The end.
Are you are
[doublepost=1476574253][/doublepost]
My 7 plus doesn't make a rattling noise at all when I shake it. My SE I had did however..
The 7 plus won't do this since it has a bigger lens