Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
After two years of constantly changing Macs (I had quite a few iMacs, Macbook Pros and Macbooks), I decided to buy a Mac Pro, despite the fact that there are going to be updates soon (nobody knows though when!).
I bought the following configuration:
2 x 2,66Ghz Xeon
5GB RAM (4GB bought extra for 200 Euros...)
500GB HD
Nvidia 7300

I convert lots of DVDs and AVI files to mp4 for my Apple TV. I was amazed by the speed difference. The machine just never hungs when I decompress big files. Everything is smoother and the Leopard really rocks on it! I know it may be an overkill to have a Mac Pro for a "home" user, but I sold my 24" White iMac and my white Macbook, so now I have the Mac Pro and my iPhone (as a laptop replacement for basic internet surfing and mails). This combination is much better for me, I havent paid much extra and I get to use a very fast computer that doesnt compare to the iMacs.
I am very happy with my purchase and the build quality of my Mac Pro. I now wait for my iSight (bought from eBay)...

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
What is really amazing is that the system is always fast. It doesnt matter If I convert a dvd and at the same time decompress a 4GB rar file, I can still use the system with no slow downs! This is just impossible on an iMac or Macbook Pro...I also think that a Mac Pro is built to last more than an iMac, so at the end of the day the cost isn't that prohibiting

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
If you don't want to bother getting the new Penryns, you still should have waited as the current mac pro would most likely go on sale...

I guess you can't read so well. He said he is happy. Frankly, I can understand why.

In any case, he didn't ask our opinion as to whether he should have bought now or waited.

Congrats petvas. I may buy a used one tomorrow.

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
If you don't want to bother getting the new Penryns, you still should have waited as the current mac pro would most likely go on sale...

As I said I don't really care. The performance differences won't be that dramatic. I was happy with my iMac and now I have 200% more power. I don't care about more. If I need a new graphic card or Hard Drives, I will be still able to upgrade. I can also find and buy Xeon Processors and change the ones my Mac Pro currently has.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
awesome petvas!

I love my MP too. It is scary fast and scarier to believe there are faster machines. you are right about the durability. i can toss a ton of mpeg2 conversions at it and it will laugh at me and chug away with speed.

enjoy!

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
sounds like the perfect upgrade/setup! congratulations. :apple:=:)

the MP is one amazing computer, and you have enough ram to really make it fly. great purchase, and good luck.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I like the fact that the OP bought regardless of rumors. This is how I tend to roll. If the machine as it is today suits my needs then why bother waiting for technology to advance?

Good luck with your new stellar machine!

cohibadad

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
please rip some dvds for me. although my imac does a good job, I could use a few extra cores :(

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I guess you can't read so well. He said he is happy. Frankly, I can understand why.

In any case, he didn't ask our opinion as to whether he should have bought now or waited.

Congrats petvas. I may buy a used one tomorrow.

Thanks! :)

I know that many people would say to wait, but who knows what the future will bring? I was in the exact same situation last July. I wanted an iMac and I knew updates were coming. I bought my 24" iMac and after the updates came out I was really happy for my choice, mainly because of the Matte Display and the stability issues of the new iMac. All I am saying is that we should always judge by what is currently on market, and never start speculating. If sth suits my needs, then why not buy it? Why wait??? Who tells me that the "new" thing will be really better?

Stampyhead

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2004
London, UK
I like the fact that the OP bought regardless of rumors. This is how I tend to roll. If the machine as it is today suits my needs then why bother waiting for technology to advance?

Good luck with your new stellar machine!

Totally. The complainers all want the newest machines. And then when they have them they complain that Rev. A computers have too many problems. Glad there are some logical minded people on here.

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I just hate when people get on these post and go on and on and on about "you should have waited! OMG!!!! Penryn processors!!! ETC.!!!!"

Please people, just because you want a new Mac with the latest, greatest doesn't mean the poster wants that! Especially when he says he's happy.

So please refrain yourself from going on about what they should have gotten.

Instead congratulate them and hope they have a good experience with it.

~Crawn

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
Totally. The complainers all want the newest machines. And then when they have them they complain that Rev. A computers have too many problems. Glad there are some logical minded people on here.

Do I want a 4-Core Woodcrest machine that can encode a 1 hour video in 15-20 minutes? Or do I want an 8-Core Harpertown that can encode a 1 hour video in 7-10 minutes? I will take the machine that can cut my time in half, for the work that I do. That and I have never had a problem buying the first model of anything. And I wouldn't classify myself as a "complainer," impatient maybe, but not "complainer."

peejack

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Glad you happy I want one of those too just so scared to buy right now :eek: Congrats for having the guts ;)

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
Glad you happy I want one of those too just so scared to buy right now :eek: Congrats for having the guts ;)

Well, if you MUST always have the latest and greatest, then wait! If you want a great computer that will definitely last for many years, its expandable, of great quality and is blazing fast, you could do yourself a favor and buy one

PCRanger

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2006
London, UK
I am truly jealous!
I wish I could afford a gorgeous machine like that!
I really hope you have a great time with it, and you should keep us updated with how it's going!
Hopefully see you around, congrats with the great purchase :)

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
I am truly jealous!
I wish I could afford a gorgeous machine like that!
I really hope you have a great time with it, and you should keep us updated with how it's going!
Hopefully see you around, congrats with the great purchase :)

Thanks. Actually I didn't pay that much because I sold my two Macs. I got for both of them 2500 Euro and I added another 1300 Euro and bought this great piece of hardware. Of course, if someone can't do that because he/she doesn't own two Macs, it's not that easy (or justified) to buy it (unless you are a Pro, making money with the Mac Pro).

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
What a great machine! Enjoy it and the ease with which you can add drives, RAM, PCI cards, etc. What a nice Christmas present to yourself!

petvas

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Munich, Germany
What a great machine! Enjoy it and the ease with which you can add drives, RAM, PCI cards, etc. What a nice Christmas present to yourself!

Thanks! I do plan to add Hard Drives as I currently have many external ones and I don't like it. Before I had to use external drives because the iMac isn't expandable. Now everything is different. I think I will open the external HDs I have, and put them inside, though I can't do it for all because of guarantee issues. I have two LaCie HDs, one Iomega 1TB (Raid0) and one No Name (that I can add ;) )

fandsw

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007
Helena, AL
Thanks! I do plan to add Hard Drives as I currently have many external ones and I don't like it. Before I had to use external drives because the iMac isn't expandable. Now everything is different. I think I will open the external HDs I have, and put them inside, though I can't do it for all because of guarantee issues. I have two LaCie HDs, one Iomega 1TB (Raid0) and one No Name (that I can add ;) )

Make sure that they use SATA drives, ATA/IDE drives found in some externals won't work inside a MP

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I will buy my Mac Pro tomorrow. It will be both 25% faster and 25% cheaper than yours! HAHA :D

just joking :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.