My brand new Macbook Pro died... advice please?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rahinco, Nov 16, 2009.

1. rahinco macrumors newbie

Basically I bought a Macbook Pro last night, it died shortly after I turned it on this evening. I've just been to the apple store and was given a replacement. I highly doubt they will replace the replacement should the same thing happen again, so I'd just like to explain everything I did with it since buying it and to know if any of it was wrong:

OK so last night at about 5 I bought my Macbook Pro from the apple store oxford circus... mostly because I'm impatient waiting for my iMac, well anyway I opened it in the store and downloaded a few things like MSN messenger, firefox, set up my email account etc. Spent like an hour using it there.

I then shut it down, took it home, set it to charge @ about 6, and while it was charging, transfered all my music over to it and firefox bookmarks. I then started downloading world of warcraft.

It was a massive download so I left it running overnight with the power settings set to turn the monitor off but leave the actual power on.

In the morning (6.30am) it was fine, while I was getting ready I watched TV on this website: http://www.tvcatchup.com/ (I've just thought, this is a continuously streamed flash video, like youtube I guess but ongoing... would this cause a Macbook to break? I can't use it on my PC because my PC crashes whenever I do, same with youtube which is why I wanted to switch to mac)

I turned it off (at around 8.30am), and stored it safely in my underwear drawer while I was at work :D so my nosey flatmates wouldn't be tempted to steal it.

I got home at 2 or 3pm, watched some more flash videos (while charging) on this website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/tv and then http://www.tvcatchup.com/ till around 4pm.

I just left it on, not using it for about an hour then at around 5.30pm, I went to check my email on it, was about to open firefox when it suddenly turned itself off. I tried to turn it back on but couldn't. Followed the support instructions on the website on what to do in this event - nothing worked, so I took it back to the apple store.

They were very apologetic and replaced it, but seemed surprised that this had happened - which is what made me think it was maybe something I had done. I didn't want to tell them that at the store in case they thought I was to blame and refused to replace it, so here I am asking you lovely people :)

So my question again is is anything I've done a big nono that I musn't do on the new replacement Macbook pro? I'd be very grateful to you for any input you can give

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It doesn't sound like you did anything that would have caused this.

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

I'm pretty sure it wasn't your fault. Highly doubt that the same thing will happen again but they'll definitely replace it. No worries.

4. rahinco thread starter macrumors newbie

5. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

It won't but they will.

I see nothing abusive in your use of the machine. (I leave my MBP on 24/7 too.) All products have a non-zero infant mortality rate, even jaw-droppingly costly MIL-spec stuff. Seems like you drew the short straw on this one. Sucks, but it happens.