my bricked phone just activated on its own without itunes (what the hell)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MotionxxUSxx, Jul 11, 2008.

1. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

I've got a unactivated 3g iphone that the apple store sent me home with since the activation servers were down. I'm at home and I keep getting the " we could not complete your itunes store request. An unknown error occurred (-4)" error trying to activate through itunes. All of a sudden I got a text message from att and the phone activated. I now have 3g service.

What the hell is going on, how is that even possible?

2. ziggo macrumors 6502

ziggo

you got lucky??

Seriously just count your luky stars because i'm getting the same "network timed out" error and I'm on like my 12th try with no end in sight...

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Uh, probably when they tried to activate the phone in the store, it finally kicked in?

4. MotionxxUSxx thread starter macrumors 6502

they never hooked me up in store because they knew itunes was down.

5. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

I had this with my Gen 1 iPhone. It's o2 who activate over the cell network. Didn't happen for a day!

This doesn't look like anything different. I'd say the activations happen when someone manually types your contract into an activation server and presses 'Go'...

6. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

This happened with mine. I had an old iPhone and upgraded. Initially had problems with the at&t look-up part of the process but that finally went through and immediately put my phone into No Service. Kept getting the same error messages as everyone else but then randomly got a text message from my girlfriend that had been waiting in queue. Phone works now but won't sync with iTunes on my computer.

EDIT: After letting it sit a few times in iTunes and browsing the board, the iTunes activation server seems to have caught up with me and is now syncing. Heyo!