Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

A3ex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Hi everyone,

I got a very weird problem. When I connect my computer (Macbook, Mac OS X Leopard) via cable to the router all my applications work with no problem. I can browse the internet, visit the itunes store, receive mail, get updates on my dashboard.

But when I am connected to the internet via wifi (on the same router) I can still browse the internet while all other apps cannot connect to the internet. Itunes says it cannot connect, mail says it cannot retrieve any mail etc.

What is wrong??? I have tried on a different router at a friends house. Same thing. Everything works via cable but wirelessly only the browser works and nothing else.

Thank you very much
Alex

mbestel

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
First thing to do ...

First thing to check is the airport config in the Network preference pane.

- Make sure that it is set to get its IP address via DHCP.
- Make sure that there are no DNS servers manually configured.
- Make sure that there are no proxies configured

Unless, of course, any of these thing are necessary.

Mark

A3ex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2010
Mbestler,

thank you so much for your help. It was the proxies. You are my hero. If you ever in the area you can have free drinks as many as you want ;-)

I just received 350 emails from the last 3 months.

For everyone else: Go to your System Preferences -> Network -> Airport -> Advanced -> Proxies -> set "Configure Proxies" to "Manually" and uncheck all boxes in "Select a protocol to configure".

Thank you too disconap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.