My camcorder buying experience

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by safetyobc, Nov 30, 2007.

1. safetyobc macrumors 6502

safetyobc

I just purchased a "budget" camcorder. I decided on the JVC GR-D750.

It is a very entry level camcorder, but that is what I wanted. All I wanted to do is video my kids at thier school functions, at home, family outings, etc. And be able to import that footage to my Macbook Pro for editing via iMovie (at least for now).

I am VERY new to the video biz. I bought a "budget" camcorder (will pick up at Circuit City tomorrow via the buy online and pickup in store). I did do my research though and picked the best reviewed "budget" camcorder that I could find (JVC GR-D750). I had it narrowed down between the Canon ZR800, Panasonic PV-GS80 and the JVC GR-750. The Canon's reviews had a lot of complaints of noise when they recorded. The Panasonic and the JVC were close in thier reviews, but I finally decided on the JVC because of tons of positive reviews and the fact that it has a light. I know that is a minor thing, but I have an old VHS-C camcorder (panasonic) that has the light and I have used it on occasion to video the kids sleeping or and a few other things. I liked the looks of the Panasonic, but there were a few reviews about the low light quality that turned me to the JVC. I realize the JVC won't be great in low light, it will likely not even be good, but for me I think it will suit my needs. I could have opted for the higher model that was the JVC GR-DV770 that added the SD card and digital photograph, but honestly these type cams take crappy pics. I have a very nice Canon digital camera that takes EXCELLENT pictures so I didn't need or want that option in the camcorder.

I didn't want to invest a lot of money in this right now because I am new to video game and I know that HD will come down in price and in a couple years time I can likely get a decent HD camcorder for $300 or so bucks. And I have just dropped a lot of money on 3 kids for Christmas and the budget was very very low! The wife and I decided that we would spend $200 (give or take a little) each on something we wanted, and I chose a camcorder.

I bought some accessories to go along with my new purchase including a tripod THIS tripod for $21 shipped (UPS shipping too). I know it won't do all the fancy stuff. But honestly all I want it for is to set up in one spot and film. If I find that I need panning and tilting, I will invest in a better tripod as mentioned above. I also picked up a firewire cable from Amazon.com for a nice price.

When I get my new toy and have a day or two to play with it, I'll let you guys know how I like it.

Thanks to all for answering my questions and offering your opinions and tips over the past few days. It helped a lot! Thanks!

safetyobc

2. soyboy macrumors newbie

I'm going through the same process now. It is very difficult to decide which camera to get. Even whether or not to go HD (although, like you I have other Christmas purchases lurking). Like you I will likely let the HD format mature a bit before I buy one of those and instead stick with SD. I am thinking about going with MiniDV for the editing ease.

Enjoy your new camcorder.