Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
Just received from eBay Carbon Skin and Black Bumper.

The Carbon Skin cost £3.99p from a UK seller.

The Black Bumper cost £2.04p from a HK seller.

Quite pleased with the quality of both items.

p688826931-4.jpg

p1006951457-4.jpg

p671239472-4.jpg

p593416755-4.jpg

maverick86

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2010
MA
Looks like a quality bumper for not being an Apple one. Do you remember which seller you got it from?

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Good job on getting quality cheaper stuff. Some people here like to over spend on stuff, this is a win!!

Gordy

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2005
Bristol, UK
Looks nice. I've got a similar combo on mine but with the apple bumper. Looks great. Though the carbon's only been on an hour!

essvee

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
That looks fresh. Do you keep your phone in ur pocket? I can see that bumper being a b--tch going in and out.

1 Cor. 15:26

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
Nice lookin'. The carbon fiber doesnt affect the signal quality does it? (It shouldnt, seeing as it doesnt come in contact with the band, but I figured it couldnt hurt to ask).

Nice set up. I bet its nice having a "bumper" that allows you to use 3rd party cables.

maverick86

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2010
MA
Actually forgot to ask, how responsive are the buttons when you press them? Easy access to that mute switch? From the pics it looks like it's a good fit but is it loose in any way?

essvee

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
Thats actually an awesome setup. You maintain how thin the phone is with a small bumper.. The CF on the back actually looks a little thick so there's your rear protection. Add a screen protector and ur set.

I just recieved some TPU cases that are rip offs of the iSkin FX ones... The quality is fantastic for the $6 I paid and its a really nice blue. However I love my electronics super thin... Maybe I should try a white bumper + some sort of rear cover (nothing towards the CF but I'm not gonna copy ur set up!)

GJ repping for the car mod/street bike community :D Need my phone to match my car -- Sittin low on 18s haha.

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
Nice lookin'. The carbon fiber doesnt affect the signal quality does it? (It shouldnt, seeing as it doesnt come in contact with the band, but I figured it couldnt hurt to ask).

Nice set up. I bet its nice having a "bumper" that allows you to use 3rd party cables.

I'm fairly sure these carbon skins are just vinyl so should not effect signal, my signal is not effected anyway. I use a third party charger so is good for me :cool:

Actually forgot to ask, how responsive are the buttons when you press them? Easy access to that mute switch? From the pics it looks like it's a good fit but is it loose in any way?

The buttons need quite a hard press, would have been nice if they were raised more, mute switch is easy to get to and the bumper is quite rigid not much flop around the sides.

digitalduck

macrumors regular
May 8, 2008
Do you have link to the carbon back also? Im ready to pull trigger on one but want to know if I should do this one instead..Thank You

maverick86

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2010
MA
For whatever adhesives they use on the back of these skins, can you reapply the skin if you take it off or is it a one-use type of thing?

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
Thats actually an awesome setup. You maintain how thin the phone is with a small bumper.. The CF on the back actually looks a little thick so there's your rear protection. Add a screen protector and ur set.

Actually the CF Skin is very thin, probably as thin as a screen protector so I wouldn't think it will add a lot of protection ?

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Actually the CF Skin is very thin, probably as thin as a screen protector so I wouldn't think it will add a lot of protection ?
Not the 3M based ones I have had. I have used them on 2 other phones. They are MUCH thicker than a screen protector plus they have textured finish. Some of them are simply flat stickers with a photo of CF. I do doubt they will provide drop protection.

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
Not the 3M based ones I have had. I have used them on 2 other phones. They are MUCH thicker than a screen protector plus they have textured finish. Some of them are simply flat stickers with a photo of CF. I do doubt they will provide drop protection.

Ok maybe not as thin as a screen protector, the surface is textured though.

JokerD

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008

funkyc

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
i had the same thought as tyranical just above me

if it doesn't affect the flash, this seems like a great idea :cool:

NickRno77

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Hertfordshire, UK
Curious, this looks pretty tight around the flash, does it affect it?

i had the same thought as tyranical just above me

if it doesn't affect the flash, this seems like a great idea :cool:

Tried flash, looks good to me although I didn't try before and after test anyway if I did have problems I would make hole opening bigger with a craft knife.

F1 Speed

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
Just received from eBay Carbon Skin and Black Bumper.

The Carbon Skin cost £3.99p from a UK seller.

The Black Bumper cost £2.04p from a HK seller.

Quite pleased with the quality of both items.

Nice install and looks killer. Great job with the pics as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.