My Centris 650 Wont boot

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Mycatisbigfoot, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Mycatisbigfoot macrumors regular

Ok this is what happend,

I was on my Power mac g4, just copping disk 7 for os 7.6 ( to a floppy)
    and my 650 just went off and wont go back on, The computer needs a new system but that is all i know now, But when it did go off, My apple vision was pluged in to the computer,
    I have tryed dirfrent combos of hard ware, from that I have also unpluged the strange cd drive on the and the hard drive, but still nothing,

I would like to get this computer going,

I do have a pc power box, and i can wire so if some one send me the wireing I can test another power box to test.
    I have also took all of the chips out and put them back in, I tell you I have more problems with towers then All in ones,

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I bet its the power supply. I've got a Centris 650 also, and its basically the same as a Powermac 7100. I'll see if the power supplies are interchangeable.

3. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Agreed, the PSU was my very first thought, too. The C650 was the first Mac I personally paid out cash for and that was a real solid workhorse. Definitely worth reviving.

4. MacTech68, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

So when you attempt to turn it on using the button at the rear, nothing at all happens?

1. remove the keyboard and mouse (and all other peripherals) and try the power button on the back.

2. try removing the mains power for about an hour. If it powers up after that, then there is possibly a resistor that needs replacing.

3. check the battery on the main board. If it reads below about 3.4 volts when fitted, remove it. Leave it without the battery for a day or two and try again (without the battery). The battery is located under the CD/Hard Drive cage.

Note that the power button at the rear can be turned 90 degrees to keep it pressed in. Make sure it isn't being locked in the "on" position (though this feature is normally used to make it power up after a power failure).
    ________
    make a vaporizer

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

They should be. Since all throughout that case style I believe the motherboards could be swapped. As that was the method always advertised in MacWorld.

So I think that the IIvi, IIvx, Centris 650, Quadra 650, PowerMac 7100's and a few Performa's can be swapped. Though I think the 68030's used 30pin simms I don't quite remember if the IIvx I used to own was 30 or 72 pin.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Here is some info I found on what normally goes wrong with these PSU's.
    http://68kmla.net/wiki/Macintosh_Quadra_650