my charger doesnt work with my new 3G...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by otis123, Sep 5, 2008.

1. otis123 macrumors 6502a

i got a belkin car charger,and it worked with my old iphone just fine, but i plugged my 3g in and i get a yellow triangle with a message that reads "charging not supported with this accessory" I thought all dock connected accessories were the same! did they change it so we have to buy new stuff? or did they really overhaul the electrical system in the 3g? i think they just want us to buy new stuff, because there is no reason why they wouldn't work.

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

The iPhone 3G only charges over USB power... most old iPhone chargers are Firewire and the 3G doesn't support Firewire.... yet another reason why old iPhone is better.

3. ilfn143 macrumors 6502

old iPhone charges over Firewire? what?

4. James L macrumors 6502a

The original iPhone, and I believe every existing iPod (including the current Touches) could charge via firewire or USB. I've been charging my 16GB iPod Touch with a 3 or 4 year old firewire charging brick since I bought it.

The iPhone 3G only charges via the USB pin in the connector, so older chargers that used the firewire pin won't work with the iPhone 3G.

5. TheBearman macrumors 6502

Well there seems to be two power supply points in the standard connector. One USB, one firewire. Older devices, including the first gen iPhone would accept power and charging from either. The 3G only seems to support the single USB supply.

What I'm not really clear on is why they couldn't feed power to both for something like this. We're not talking about a syncing device, simply a power supply.

6. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Not every ipod charged over USB. All except for the 3rd gen for some odd reason.

7. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That's true. I have a 3rd gen iPod and although you can sync over USB, it will not charge. Weird.

Look up the specs on the iPhone 3G, it doesn't have the FireWire capabilities any more. Yet another reason why I'm glad I got the original iPhone.

8. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

FireWire provides 12 volts whereas USB provides 5. Apple have previously published that FireWire charging was deprecated and shouldn't be used for new accessories. However, some companies ignored the advice because it was easier for them to hook into the 12 volt charging circuit from a 12 volt car. Apple have now followed up on what they said they would do and removed 12 volt charging circuits from the iPhone so some accessories won't charge.

9. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

could you take a look at the charger and post what the specs are

I.e it should say something like rated for 5v at 500 mah or 5v at 1000 mah