My charger makes a noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Abscissa, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Abscissa macrumors regular

Well, I just noticed this. I've had my macbook for 2 years and have never had an issue. I'm sitting here and I turned off my music and I heard a buzzing/vibrating sound. I moved around til I heard it and it's coming from the macbook charger! Like the default square piece. It's fairly quiet but I would have noticed it before...kinda sounds like an aquarium pump. Anyone else experienced this? I'm not that worried, but I don't my charger to mess up and like fry my battery or catch on fire (unlikely IMO but just saying).

Oh, and it gets slightly louder when I scroll on the trackpad. WTF. And no, I'm not imagining this.

also my battery has 1 green flashing light on the bottom and my battery is at 28% and says it's charging.

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

That's the sound of your common rectifier.

You should really only hear this when charging (orange light on magsafe). All bricks whine sooner or later.

3. Abscissa thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I just noticed it. 2 years and like 500 cycles. (Still holds 3 - 4 hours :D)

But thanks, I was curious. It does it only when charging as you said. I do think it's slightly odd that it, "draws more power" when I scroll. Or it just increases in noise. ha. Oh well, as long as it's harmless.

4. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

5. Abscissa thread starter macrumors regular

What's that supposed to mean? haha

Well, if it catches on fire now, I'm not at my house. :)