My child has just smashed the iPad3 :/

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sb22, Sep 23, 2012.

1. sb22, Sep 23, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

sb22 macrumors 6502

sb22

I have no idea how it came about, she just handed me it. :( I 'think' she dropped a ceramic cup on it, but I can only guess here, its certainly been a freak accident of some sort. Was it her? I have no idea, because shes only just turned 3. :/

I only got it from Cex a month ago, so I'm not sure what the score is on warranty, if anything? The iPad is really for her, as she has special needs, and I am gutted as I have no idea what to do, where to go and how much it will cost. :(

Can anyone advise?

2. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

I can't find a page that has Apple's repair pricing for iPads but next time make sure to add AppleCare+ when you buy it.

3. Tortri macrumors 6502a

Tortri

I suggest you call apple, explain what happened and they'll give you a quote for repair. Expect a ball park figure of around $200 USD.

4. mcdonoughdr macrumors member

I smashed my iPad screen as well, no mater what the warranty is or where you bought it, take it to the Apple Store and they will replace it for 250

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

Check with your credit card company. Some offer 90-day protection for damage.

6. Thegolem macrumors regular

CEX have a warranty but it wont cover accidental damage.

7. Gala macrumors regular

Take it in ASAP and see what they can do. My father smashed his screen by dropping it and the price they gave him was more than buying a new one. Hopefully that is true case for you.

8. sb22 thread starter macrumors 6502

sb22

UPDATE:

Indeed Apple said I needed a replacement for £250. I nearly wept! After two iPhone 5s and a mac I had no idea how to pay for it. A few days later the man "upstairs" mustve been looking out for us as hubby got a tax rebate which will cover that and a toddler proof lockable case, which she can use without water damage etc. I guess it may not stop ceramic mugs from smashing it again but let's hope that was a complete freak accident never to repeat.

9. Morlais macrumors newbie

cracked Ipad

same happened to me, although I'm not 3, and it just slipped from the table. Still works fine, just a mashed up corner, was thinking of sending it to a non apple place to get a new screen as they were quoting about £49, haven't decided yet; anyone got any experience?

10. sb22 thread starter macrumors 6502

sb22

A new screen from somewhere apart from Apple would ruin the warranty - if you're not fussed with that the thing you would need to be aware of is the quality of the replacement screen and the place you go to

11. Mikes2pads macrumors regular

Be aware , you may have a closet droid patron in the making.
    I missed what your warranty status is at this point but going to the apple store can't hurt. Bring the child, prep him to become unsettled if you hear " sorry mam we cant help you beyond paying $200..."
    Seriously mom, good luck.