My choice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mbcollins93, Oct 14, 2008.

1. mbcollins93 macrumors member

mbcollins93

ok,
    i think i have totally thrown in the towel for a macbook pro. I think i am going to buy a macbook. I wasnt expecting that big of a graphics card. Like steve jobs said pros will still buy macbook pros, but i dont think i am quite a pro. This is where my decision is teetering. So here is my question. Can/could the new macbooks run crysis and Final Cut. I am pretty sure about crysis because they had a video of Need For Speed playing on a macbook. so if anyone out there will please answer my question. That way i can buy the computer of my dreams.
    cheers

2. ant7783 macrumors member

I am also curious if the new macbooks will be able to run final cut

3. mbcollins93 thread starter macrumors member

mbcollins93

does any one know. all i want to know is if the graphics card is big enough.

4. noisebleed macrumors regular

the difference between 9400 and 9600 is, are you going to play games or not? as in, call of duty.

that's the only question you should be asking yourself.

in other news, macbook vs pro has smaller resolution ( hence the lesser card )

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The old MacBook could run Final Cut. As for Crysis, it's not going to run at very high settings but I'm pretty sure it will run.

6. unwinded macrumors regular

7. noisebleed macrumors regular

if you want to run mmos, macs are fine.

if you want to play "real games", get a windows laptop, the price of a mac pro is more than an alienware laptop ( get a hint there? )

8. timestoby macrumors 6502

the new macbooks graphics are intergrated not dedicated like on the pros. they are way better than intels x4500s.it might run crysis on its lowest settings,but youll have to wait till they get tested etc.

9. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

You won't get Crysis running at anything near playable on the MB. With the 9600 in the MBP, it'll run, but not real well. I'd expect 20FPS with medium/low settings.

However, Crysis is a huge system killer. Other games, ala Source games, should run fine on the MB... especially when you factor in the lower res.

10. mbcollins93 thread starter macrumors member

mbcollins93

so crysis probably wont run but how about final cut.

11. leman macrumors 604

Well, you don't know what this 9400M thing can do yet... With 16 cores, it looks like a integrated geforce 9400gt card, with shared memory and probably lower clocks. First problem is bandwidth limitation. With shared memory, even DDR3, it will be much slower then most dedicated solutions. But this card should have a little bit of shader power, that is why it should fare better with shader-intensive games (notice how Apple benchmarks show CD4 – most shader intensive game – to be much faster on the new chip). Basically, I believe that ~50% (probably more for shader-intensive apps) of the 8600 is true. Given that 8600gt can run Crysis at about 30fps on MB native resolution with low settings I bet the new MB can do about 10 FPS at least :)

12. mbcollins93 thread starter macrumors member

mbcollins93

so it will run but in xbox terms a little "laggey".

Also i think i have made up my mind that since i have a xbox 360 i wont get into computer games.
    so most important can someone tell me if the new macbooks will run final cut.
    thanks a lot for everyone's comments on cyrisis

13. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

My black Macbook runs Final Cut just fine, so common sense tells you the new ones will run it also.

14. mbcollins93 thread starter macrumors member

mbcollins93

sweet. that is awesome. I probably wont ever use final cut because it is to dang expensive, but the reason i want to know is because final cut is one of the most graphic intensive program i can think of. So if it can run final cut it can run just about any of the programs i will need.