my co-worker messed up ipod touch. Bsd root: md0, major sceen

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by laserfox, Jul 12, 2008.

1. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

BSD root: md0, major 2, minor 0

This is all the black screen shows.
    He tried jailbreaking using ziphone and he got scared and tried to stop the process. He gave me the ipod touch today because I waxed poetic about the wonders of jailbreaking lol. So guys I need your help in restoring and then successfully jailbreaking the man's ipod touch.

PS>I jailbroke mines in one try using the same ziphone and I love my ipod touch.

Anyways by the time I got home the battery drained so I plugged in to my usb itunes was running and the apple logo appeared then the horror screen of BSD root: md0, major 2, minor 0 kept making line after line. So I did some research and learned about the joys of a forced reset. Cool.

I tried the forced reset and errr...its not working...I am not getting any apple logo, its not turning off. I have held the home botton and off button for over 2 mins or more and nada...

A previous poster echoed the sentiments of that lovely book by Douglas Adams (Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy) - DON'T PANIC, so I am trying not too lol.

so here I am asking for advice on how to get my co worker's ipod back on track!

2. ipodtouchftw macrumors member

the only thing i can tell u is to restore ur ipod and jailbreak it again. remember, its IMPOSSIBLE to brick ur ipod.

3. laserfox thread starter macrumors 6502

laserfox

I am starting to disbelieve this as a forced restore is not working! If I take this bsd root screen into the apple store would they fix it?

4. opivy1218 macrumors member

For some reason, I'd doubt apple will fix it for you. A forced restore should do the trick. Let the battery drain all the way maybe, then charge it via computer and try again. If that fails for some reason, try forcing it into DFU mode via ziphone or iLiberty.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

yeh be easier to just restore then jailbreak again, force restore is gonna be the easier quicker option in my opinion

6. laserfox thread starter macrumors 6502

laserfox

lol its scaring me how every seems to this this will work yet when I do this

1. let battery drain.
    2. connect to my desktop
    3. bateery icon charges then apple logo loads then the screen of bsd root appears
    4. I hold down the home button simultaneously with the sleep/wake button for up to 5 minutes and the bsd root screen still remains...

no the forced restore is not working.

I also tried going into forced DFU using the ziphone software but since the ipod is bricked and itunes is not recognizing it, ziphone isn't either...

7. opivy1218 macrumors member

Sorry, didn't read the BSD thing. This happened to me in like March I think. At first I thought it was "bricked", but then I just left it alone for like 5 days then let it charge and put it in restore mode and all was well. May work for you too.

8. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I do wish people would quit using the word bricked when they get bsd error, do you even know the definition of a briced ipod/iphone? bricked = wont turn on nothing happening nada zip zero, were as you are just getting code scolling on screen followed by bsd error.

I dont get how you find it hard to put into recovery mode, have ipod hucked up to pc, have it turned on hold the home and sleep key, keep holding them down till u see the apple logo then let go of the sleep key only and leave the home button pressed till itunes logo appears........... whats so hard? if you do that itunes will detect the ipod in recovery mode and your good to go from there

9. MattGTO macrumors regular

MattGTO

10. laserfox thread starter macrumors 6502

laserfox

I am starting to think that either the sleep wake or home button is not working at all. My co worker probably pressed too hard and ruined it when he tried to turn it off. Once charged up I can't turn it off at all!

11. menthol moose macrumors regular

First thing I tell people is to stop using ZiPhone; use iLiberty or Pwnage instead.

Secondly, try putting into DFU mode manually; step 3 of this guide will show you how.

12. laserfox thread starter macrumors 6502

laserfox

could it be that I am using the latest version of itunes, why the ipod touch isn't responding...i see a glimmer of hope.