My coffee + MBP almost-disaster

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Matt Phoenix, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Matt Phoenix macrumors regular

So, a few minutes ago, I did what I knew would happen one day. I spilled coffee on my MBP. While this could have been a disaster, it only spilled on the lower left part of the laptop (away from the trackpad and keyboard). Most of it was spilled on my bed. I quickly wiped it off and my laptop continues to type on.

Now that that crisis has been averted, is there any chance any damage could have been done to the inside? I mean it was a little more than a few drops away from any critical parts.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you search, you'll find thousands of responses to this question:
    Picture 1.jpg

3. Matt Phoenix thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, but most of those deal with liquid spilled on the keyboard/trackpad...I actually avoided that area.

4. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Ugh i always cringe when i see stories like this as i know if i caused damage to my system by not doing something as simple as not drinking whilst at it id be furious with myself.

5. Matt Phoenix thread starter macrumors regular

You've never had a beverage while using an electronic device before?

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not near my $2.5k laptop

I maintain a strict beverage placement policy. Nothing near my laptop, all too often, either in a rush, or being absent-minded, I could hit or knock over my coffee.

7. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Get a sippy sort of coffee mug travel type, then if it spills, nothing more than a drop will come out. That's how I work and yes, I learned this the hard way.

8. Matt Phoenix thread starter macrumors regular

That's actually a pretty good idea.

And in retrospect, I probably get more liquid on the computer when I Lysol wipe it, as opposed to what I did earlier. I just got really lucky this time. *phew*

9. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

I mainly use my laptop on the desk so if i have a drink its on the floor and not next to my machine. It would be all too easy for me to accidentally knock it over. Glad your machine is ok though :)

10. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

Why is no one lamenting the spilled coffee?!? That wonderful, life-enhancing nectar was needlessly wasted like it was just flavored water! :eek: Oh the horror.

As you can guess, I'm just a tad bit addicted to coffee.

11. Matt Phoenix thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, I never keep my drink next to my machine. What happened was that I picked it up and then sneezed, thereby accidentally throwing some coffee up in the air.

Haha! I was actually rather pissed about the coffee, too. I bought a brand new bag of Seattle's Best the other day and was looking forward to brewing it this morning. And this happened!

12. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

I have found that I usually do more damage when I try to "save" the electronics from the liquids. In my haste I sometimes grab it too fast or knock it off the table. So I now make sure my coffee is nowhere near the computer.